Chinese-Forums

Shaw Brothers festival?

character

I just watched The Super Infra-Man (中国超人). Fantastic stuff. If you like cheesy sci-fi effects, rubber suit monsters, and superhero movies, then this is highly recommended. According to Wikipedia, this is actually China's first superhero.

I think I'll watch 猩猩王 (Mighty Peking Man) next, which is supposedly a rip-off of the horrible King Kong movie from the 70s.

I suppose this is as good a point as any to recall that Sir Run Run Shaw, who founded the Shaw Brothers empire in the 1920s with his brother Runme, celebrated his 103rd birthday in Hong Kong last month, which certainly makes him a living embodiment of the Chinese character 壽.

He's third from left in this photo:

http://www.shaw.sg/sw_about.aspx

• 6 months later...

The thread about kung fu movie watching reminded me that I wanted to watch 猩猩王 (Mighty Peking Man). I watched it the other night. It is definitely 70s monster movie cheesy goodness. It is basically a Shaw Bros. take on King Kong and Tarzan. It is not as good as 中国超人 (Super Infra-Man) which I mention above, but I still enjoyed it. There some pretty heavy doses of intentional wardrobe malfunctions from the heroine which made it pretty sleazy at times, but overall I got a kick out of it.

海报 for both movies attached because they are awesome.

post-23129-099247900 1309651213_thumb.jpg

post-23129-073538500 1309651432_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I remember explaining to a UK consultant who Run Run Shaw was when we saw all those Shaw Buildings in the universities in Hong Kong.

When I studied in the Chinese University in HK, we called the Sir Run Run Shaw Hall there 跑跑堂. :)