Chinese-Forums

Should I have a go at HSK basic or not?

lokki

There is an HSK coming up in a few weeks and I have been toying with the idea to go and have a go at the basic level, even though I suspect I am not quite up to it yet.

It might give me some valuable insight into what it's like but on the other hand it could be discouraging to go and do it and fail, and I reckon failure is almost guaranteed. On the other hand there is a small possibility that I might get lucky and pass, who knows?

Any thoughts on this? Anybody else who has done the same thing? Recommendations, for or against? If I fail, will they give me the numbers to see how close I got and how I did in the different sections?

As long as you can afford the time and money, I say go for it. Walk in with the assumption that you won't do well and it's just a bit of practice.

Your results slip will show a score for each section - at least it does for the other levels.

• 1 month later...

What did you decide?

I took the HSK Basic in the UK on 16 May, and was really glad I decided to do it. I'm studying on my own, and decided 6 months or so ago to try doing HSK, and it really focussed my learning as the exam date got nearer. Wahtever my results, it will be good feedback.