Chinese-Forums

Talking about a photograph

hector

你们好!

我叫赫克托。我是墨西哥人。我在大学正在学习汉语。 我有一个问题。 

Ok, enough for using chinese to communicate since most of this forum is in english. As I said above my name is Hector; a mexican university student who is learning chinese. I am kind of new to this forum and still don't know how to properly use it, so I hope some feedback from other users.

Now, you see my situation is that I have a couple of doubts regarding setence structure which I need to clarify as for taking my oral exam on wednesday (mexico's time), which is half of my final grade for Chinese course. The problem is that I can't contact my teacher since Mexico is under somewhat swine flu continence, and my 老师 is not answering 她的伊妹儿。 Which is a little bit troubling since I do need to know this stuff. So If anyone is so gentile to help me correct this, or at least point the right direction, I'd be more than happy and in debt.

So here I go.

I must have a dialogue with my partner for the exam that involves photos, because that is the lesson we have to focus on, the one that includes the photos. So these are some sentences we have doubts.

在你的照片你做什么? This is the first correction I made to the sentece my partner made, but then I came up to think that it might be something more like 在照片你做什么? We are trying to express "What are you doing in the photo?" (the one I'd be holding during the final exam).

now the following phrase is kinda blowing my mind because my partner made it up and used some words we haven't learn. 在这张照片你在哪儿? 你在一家旅馆(luguan)吗?

The purpose of the sentence is to say "Where are you (place) in the picture? Is it a hotel?" Which I am not sure if it is proper to say, I'd rather shorten it to say 在照片你在哪儿?correct me if I am wrong.

not sure of this 你在哪儿认识了他?, or if it might be this 你在哪儿结识了他? or none.

我们在门格特雷科技大学结识了, 在这儿他是了一门(个)留学生. I am not really sure about this one, to express that they met in tec de monterrey and tha he was a exchange student.

Well that is most of my doubts, upon solving those probably I will find my way to solve the rest of the stuff.

If anyone is so willingly to help, thanks in advance.

Best regards from Mexico.

Hector

在你的照片你做什么?

(在)照片裡, 你在做什麼?

在这张照片你在哪儿? 你在一家旅馆(luguan)吗?

..."Where are you (place) in the picture? Is it a hotel?"

照片裡你在什麼地方啊(呢)? 是在飯店(旅館)嗎?

Or 照片裡的地方是哪裡啊? 是在飯店(旅館)嗎?

你在哪儿认识了他...你在哪儿结识了他?

Either is fine.

我们在门格特雷科技大学结识了, 在这儿他是了一门(个)留学生. ... they met in tec de monterrey and tha he was a exchange student.

我們在門格特雷科技大學認識(結識)的, (當時)他是(一個)交換學生.

Hope it helps! :)

Best wishes

Wow, that was relatively fast. Thanks I guess, although I do have to point out that the course is for mandarin chinese, however the structure was great help. I will get on with the script. Still any suggestion I'll keep accepting.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks I guess, although I do have to point out that the course is for mandarin chinese, however the structure was great help.
Semantic nuance's suggestions are in Mandarin Chinese. You should get used to the fact that there're two standard writing systems for Mandarin: the simplified and traditional. Semantic nuance is using the traditional here.

For "where did you meet him?", also consider “你是在哪兒認識他的?” or “你們是在哪兒認識的?”

Also, HashiriKata is right. A lot of people use the traditional script. I am one of them.

PS - I am not sure why Monterrey is 門格特雷. It appears that 門特雷 is more appropriate.

Edited by skylee

Ok, ok maybe I should get my facts straight but I am used to simplified chinese. As long as I know it is indeed 蒙特雷 (Monterrey), according to my 老师, not 们蒙特雷 but I hit a couple other keys so thats why 们 appeared at the first sentence.

Thank you all.:D