Chinese-Forums

How to translate this sentence into Mandarin?

Houghton

I've been asked by someone who's writing a story (in English) to translate into Mandarin (and Mandarin that's as rude and aggressive as possible) the following line of dialogue:

"Get this annoying cripple away from me!" (said as an exasperated, angry order to someone).

My Mandarin isn't that great, so I'm a bit stuck and would appreciate some help. Would 除掉这个讨厌的跛子work? (Qudiao zhege taoyan de bozi.) Would 把这个讨厌的跛子除掉be better? Would "mafan" be a better word than "taoyan"? (I've always learned "taoyan" as "digusting", but my dictionary also defines it as "annoying".)

Thanks in advance.:D

"Get this annoying cripple away from me!" (said as an exasperated, angry order to someone).

How about this -> 把这个碍眼的跛子给我干掉!

My Mandarin isn't that great, so I'm a bit stuck and would appreciate some help. Would 除掉这个讨厌的跛子work? (Qudiao zhege taoyan de bozi.) Would 把这个讨厌的跛子除掉be better?

Either will work.

Would "mafan" be a better word than "taoyan"? (I've always learned "taoyan" as "digusting", but my dictionary also defines it as "annoying".)

Explanations on dictionary are just for a translator’s reference. Sometimes, a translator must look for other more proper words to express the meaning in the sentence. I guess that the cripple here is an eyesore to someone. Hehe. :wink:

Cheers!

Is 干掉 perhaps a little too strong?

Hehe. That depends on a given context, if OP could give us. :mrgreen:

I always seem to hear it used (in TV shows and movies) by gangster bosses trying to get their underlings to kill someone.

That was the picture on my mind when I saw OP's words-> "Get this annoying cripple away from me!" (said as an exasperated, angry order to someone). " Hehe.:mrgreen: (啊,这些天我都在看关于国民党内军统特务与为汪精卫服务的上海76号公馆特务互相搞暗杀行动的历史记录片呢,而且昨天晚上还看了郑萍如要暗杀特务头子丁默村的内容呢。看来,都看得中毒了。呵呵。:mrgreen:)

Cheers!

Edited by studentyoung

ermm....干掉 in chinese means to kill. Are you sure the meaning you want is to kill him?

把这个死瘸子给我丢出去。

ba zhe ge si que zi ge wo diu chu qu.

瘸子is a rude way of saying a cripple.

this sentence means throw that cripple away.

死does not mean die or dead here, it just add on to the rudeness, meaning something closer to disgusting.

把这个死瘸子给我带走。

ba zhe ge si que zi gei wo dai zou.

this means bring the cripple away.

I don't actually know the context it is used in so I hope it helps.

Thanks, everyone. I've finally decided to go with:

把这个该死的瘸子给我丢出去

Ba zhege gaisi de quezi gei wo diu chuqu

Get this blasted cripple away from me. lingjas, I presume that ...瘸子给我丢出去 wouldn't just literally mean *throw* that cripple away, but would also have the force of "*get* him away"? I mean, it's obviously not as though anyone's going to literally pick him up and drop him in a dustbin!:D

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.