Chinese-Forums

splitting HSK vocab in smaller chunks?

Erbse

I am in the final stages of a third version of that vocabulary drilling applet I posted a long time before. This time, however, I converted almost every single tree from Zhongwen.com to an Excel format, and used the family resemblance (the site calls it 字普) to clump a ranked word corpus I've been cleaning into classes. What you learn, then, is words grouped by homophony and lexical similarity, as well as frequency. If you're attentive, you'll gradually see the similarities are quite near each other, and that ought to boost some of the associative games that make language learning so easy.

Examples...

In the very start, you work on the biggest "family" -- 一.

Once some of the simpler ones are out of the way, you begin to see patterns with the complex ones, like...

These are just off of the top of my head, but I have a lot clearer understanding of all of the words once the families are put together like this. It's sort of like doing amateur etymology for memorization.

This method right now has its problems, since sometimes single characters

If someone hands me a clean HTML-esque list of the HSK vocabulary, I think I could complete Roddy's suggestion in about an hour or two. If you really wanted, you could just cut and paste it into the applet, but mind you, it will be much dirtier.

• 1 year later...