Chinese-Forums

Cost of Living in Zhuhai

ssg10

Hello

Could you somebody tell me some ideas about living cost in Zhuhai ?

Just curious, if I have a chinese relative living in Zhuhai and I want to send him money for birthday gift, is US$500 a big one or too small or... ? Sorry, I don't have any idea standard of cost there. I know that with $500 can last a college student 2-3 weeks in Los Angeles for decent foods and transportation, but I got no idea in Zhuhai or surrounding areas.

Thanks!

A $500 birthday gift? With that kind of money food won't be a problem as he can just buy his own restaurant. (Okay not that ridiculous, but no worries, I'm sure your gift won't be seen as insultingly small to say the least.)

$500 gift; I wish you were my relative. I'd say $50 is a good gift for me. So I guess California must be 10 times more expensive than the midwest (or my family is just cheap).

But that does make me think. Cost of living probably isn't the main consideration when deciding on a gift amount; the customary norm or culture is probably more important. Not sure if there is one (might just be family specific).

My family is possibly just cheap though. I found that the Chinese were more generous (but that might have just been my fiancee's family). What my fiancee (who is Chinese) thinks is a good amount for a birthday or wedding (or etc) gift is more than what I think (as an American). And my salary is at least 8 times greater than hers. Maybe others know, but I think Chinese do give more for weddings (at least relatively) than Americans. My fiancee says the wedding couple makes a profit (while in America, after paying the outrageous price for the reception, you are definitely in the hole).

Edit. Don't lower the amount you give based upon my comment. Give what you want and can afford. Base your decision on what you want and what others here say. I'm not Chinese and no expert on Chinese culture. I'm just commenting.

Thanks all.

The reason is because I went there few weeks ago and he took care of me - paid for taxi all the time (more than 10x), foods (each meal about 30RMB, as i remember),...

So, I think I need to repay and say thanks. I was just curious if that amount is too big or too small or just alright.

Could you somebody tell me some ideas about living cost in Zhuhai ?

I've lived in Zhuhai a couple times during the last three years. $500 US dollars is about one month’s salary for a skilled worker there (3,500 RMB.)

As to whether it’s appropriate to give that much to this particular relative, I cannot judge or advise.