Chinese-Forums

HSK Level and NPCR Book

fstop

I'm planning to take the HSK Elementary/Intermediate exam. I'm curious about the approximate HSK level to the NPCR books. For example, if you have mastered the NPCR up to book 4, what is the approximate HSK level that you would probably get? Or is there another way to approximate your HSK level. It doesn't have to be very exact. Thanks!

I guess it depends which HSK test, but I studied NPCR up to book 4 and I've continued studying for the last eight or nine months. I think perhaps a 3 on the Intermediate test? From the practice tests I've taken(I haven't taken the real thing), its apparent that there is a lot of grammar and vocab that isn't introduced in the NPCR series that shows up on the HSK test.

I think perhaps a 3 on the Intermediate test?

I don't agree. HSK Basic is not that basic. After competing certificate IV part-time, only a few students ventured to do HSK Basic. One advanced student could have taken HSK Intermediate but she decided not to in the end. I passed OK. Quite happy with listening and grammar, but I didn't managed to read what I had to read and answer the questions. It was the worst part for me.

You can manage with vocabulary given in 4 volumes of NPCR to take HSK Basic but you need to be a good and quick reader and be able to fill in the gaps (the words and expressions you don't know).

Thanks for the reply. I'm aiming to get at least HSK level 6. Based from the feedback, I'm probably at Level 2, long way to go. My speaking and listening skills are way ahead of my reading and writing, so most people will overrate my overall Mandarin language skill. In order to achieve level 6, does it mean that I need to study beyond the NPCR volume 5? So if you know the materials of up to NPCR volume 5, around what HSK level will you probably get? Thanks.

In my opinion, you need some readers, articles. Textbooks are not enough for building enough vocabulary for various situations you may come across on the HSK test. This recommendation applies to me. :)

I read more than the textbook but not regularly and not enough. The reading may not be as thorough as textbook but the amount is important - just continue reading if you have parts you don't quite understand - I look them but not always manage to review what I have read, so I forget some words again but the most important, frequent and useful stick.

Thanks for the reply. I'm aiming to get at least HSK level 6. Based from the feedback, I'm probably at Level 2, long way to go. My speaking and listening skills are way ahead of my reading and writing, so most people will overrate my overall Mandarin language skill. In order to achieve level 6, does it mean that I need to study beyond the NPCR volume 5? So if you know the materials of up to NPCR volume 5, around what HSK level will you probably get? Thanks.

NPCR 5 will give you all you need in terms of grammar.

You'll need to improve the vocabulary (I recommend the HSK vocabulary lists mentioned a lot on this forum) and reading. There is no textbook anywhere that will give you enough of this, so you'll need to invest extra time into this.

I find improving reading/writing to be easier than improving listening/speaking, because you can start slowly and improve with time, and because you're not reliant on language partners.

For a six you need to use material beyond NPCR. The listening section often contains colloquial idioms or words:

吃了个闭门羹

太不像话了

过门儿

Are just a few examples I have seen in the mock material. Since the sentences are sometimes short, you sometimes cannot guess what they mean but need to have studied them. If you are not regularly exposed to Chinese, the audio NPCR is a lot slower than the HSK listening part.

The second part of the reading section requires you to be able to read fast. The texts are often newspaper style texts (including stats, percentages, scientific and business terms). I dont think NPCR level 4 include many or enough of these types of articles for you to practice on to achieve a six.

For the last section you need to be able to detect typically differences between similar words such as 严重,严格,严肃,严厉 or between adverbs such as 于是,因此,此次. I cant recall if NPCR goes into such detail.

Finally, the HSK format requires exam technique to manage the time, acquire preview responses technique, understand FAQ etc.