Chinese-Forums

Is it possible? HSK 6 in 1 year?

npmontgomery

The first thousand still isn't very many - let us know how you're doing about the five thousand mark. Sounds like a stint of vocab, rather than character, learning is called for. And you really do need to do a mock exam or two - otherwise even a native speaker of Chinese is likely to find themselves confused about what they're meant to do at some point.

5000 Characters? !!

Ok well I hope you are still around in er.....3 years time! I'll pull this old thread up and see where I am! My 5 year plan to get fluent has suddenly doubled to 10! I hope it doesn't do the same after 10 years of studying!

Whilst wer're talking HSK any advice for the written part in the elementary/int test. I forgot to do this so I don't even know what the exercise looked like and I can't seem to find examples of this exercise.

Righto well I'd imagine I'm not far off 5000 words if not more under my belt. I'll find more lists to verify that I have 5000 of the HSK if such a list exists!

I'll ket you know how I progress and what score I get next time.

• 3 months later...

Ok, final results are in. HSK 6 in around 2 months of full time formal study and 6 months of unguided self study (while a full time teacher) from the first "你好.“ Grammar section was the lowest, if it were a little higher I would have had 7. Reading came in at 95; so much for the stereotypes of Westerners and not being able to read Chinese...

From my first post till now...thoughts

1. Western and want a high HSK score? Study like a Korean.

2. Preparing specifically for the test is key; there is a lot of material out there.

I will take the test again in about a week, Korean classmates say this one is supposed to be easier, lets hope for 7...

Took the test again this morning. Answers came out a few hours later on a Korean website (have to love my Korean room-mates!). 7级:D

Moral of the story is 世上无难事,只怕有心人

PS 听力of the 北师大 proctored test is distinctly easier that that given by 北语 (even though that was not what kept me from 7级 last time) in case anyone wanted to know...

• 5 months later...

I am quiiiiite a bit late, but that is a tremendous achievement! congrats! any chance if you're still around you can post which books you burned through and where you did your full time study?

studying like a Korean? does that translate into only +/- 4 hours of sleep a night?

• Like 1