Chinese-Forums

difference between chinese culture and European culture?

alan43

I have an idea about the difference between Chinese and European:(And this is why I begin the topic, by the way I am a chinese.)

I believe that the chinese always focuses on the group interest, not the individual interest, when they address the problem. On the contrary, the personal benfit are cared by the European.

For example, Chinese writes address like this:China Beijing, XXDistrict, XXStreet, XX. On the other hand, European writes address like that: XXRoom, XXBuliding, XX Street, xxx Country. They opposite to each other.

The reason why they have such behaviors is that Chinese are strongly influenced by the Buddhism and European who experienced the Revival of Learning have the humanism cultrue.

It is interesting, isn't it?

Let's discuss more in neutral or positive way.

alan43, I agree with your statement about group vs. individual. I think this is an Asian vs. European effect (not just China).

I don't necessarily believe it's related to Buddhism though; Buddhism in its original forms has just as much of a concept of 'personal salvation' as does Christianity.

I've heard that most of Chinese don't like to drink milk.

When I was in Chengdu, some middle school students told me that their parents force them to drink milk (maybe parents think that their childrens health and bones would be better). But this students also said that they feel disgust when drinking milk and that sometimes even vomit after drinking milk. :(

But in Europe almost everybody, even adults, drink milk and eat milk products.

group interest...strongly influenced by the Buddhism

what about the custom of familiy members living under one roof? what about the traditions of respect for elders and ancestor worship? what about confucius? and isn't it true that laozi emphasize more on invidual/nature? doesn't buddhism seek nirvana through singular realization?...

I agree with Alan that Chinese differ with the Europeans in that they tend to focus on the group interest. Group harmony is more strongly emphasized in China, rather than individual freedoms. But the Chinese are much more individualistic than the Japanese, who place a stronger importance on group consensus rather than individual viewpoints.

Yes, I hate drinking milk :D

i really doubt the collectivism in china.

From every aspect, i can't even see how collectivism gives any dominant influence on chinese decision. Group harmony is often an unclear objective to achieve, when comparing other aims like profit-maximization, self-pursuit for better opportunities. And the breakdown of trust during inhuman Cultural Revolution eventually contribute to the prevalence of an over-individualism.

In fact, I thought that chinese may care more about the children education and family value, but european countries make no much difference from it too.

The major difference may be what we worship. In china, authority leaders and fathers still play a key role and people tend not to argue with them. Interestingly, the role of God is lesser here and we worship our ancestors and authorities. If chinese wants to insult others, attacking their parents is treated as the most serious offend. The phrase like 'Fxxk your mother' can also been found in different chinese dialects.

I've heard that most of Chinese don't like to drink milk.

When I was in Chengdu, some middle school students told me that their parents force them to drink milk (maybe parents think that their childrens health and bones would be better). But this students also said that they feel disgust when drinking milk and that sometimes even vomit after drinking milk.

That's because most Asians are lactose intolerant to various extents (if you Google for it, you'll find statistics saying that 80-90% of Asians are lactose intolerant). For instance, I like milk, but I can only drink it if I eat something with it or else my stomach will start to feel funny. Also, I can't drink more than 2 cups per day. I've only vomitted once though (it was after eating cheesecake, which I won't touch again), but usually it's the other end that's the problem (sorry, too much information :D ). Some other members of my family can't drink milk at all.

I believe that the chinese always focuses on the group interest, not the individual interest, when they address the problem. On the contrary, the personal benfit are cared by the European.

For example, Chinese writes address like this

If the way a country addresses its letters indicates a group orientation, then why do western countries dial telephone numbers +country code+region+city/town+extension?

I tend to agree with Yau here, Chinese are not as group-oriented as they think. For example, if "group interest" is always primary, then why is guanxi necessary? Cultivating personal connections would be a waste of time if everyone thought of group interest first.

i really doubt the collectivism in china.

Chinese are not group nor individual oriented. Instead they are clan oriented. It's basically a group personified as an individual.

To say Chinese encourage individualism is quite stretching the meaning of individualism.

Actually I would say Chinese are kind of like Italians.

Both are family or even clan oriented. Families of different generations like to gather together in time of big events or festivals.

And in terms of corruption, two societies have somehwat common problems.

And of course, both places are lucky that they can make big bucks from tourism just by keeping those stuffs left by grand.......grand-father in reasonable shape.

• 1 month later...

I wondered a while ago if those lactose intolerent figures were true. I asked a japanese friend of mine and she said her and her friends could drink milk, though maybe it might have been soy milk she was talking about or maybe it is an intolerence to a certain extent. I know I can drink milk tillcows come home (i used to drink about a litre a day). Anyway I'm not convinced that the figures are true yet, so sounds like a good poll :D

Only after I came to UK that I got to know that there are some people who are of dairy-free diet, and some are of gluten-free diet. I didn't know about such a thing in China, or at least my friends and relatives in China are not of these special diet. That might be one difference, or as my friend explained, here everybody has his personal doctor, it's not too hard to find out what's going on if they can't have go well with some food.

I can have milk, and I love it. I started to eat cheese about half a year ago, but still cannot digest it very well, maybe just my problem. My boy friend said since I can have milk, I should be able to have cheese...somehow....soon.

East-West Differences

Here's a little list of opposites I came up with when I was bored. Have Fun!

----------------------

Western

When invited to dinner, always finish all the food to show that the food was good

Chinese

When invited to dinner, always leave a little food to show that the host has given you more than enough food

------------------------

Western

It is rude to make eating sounds when eating/drinking

Chinese

It is polite to make a little slurp when eating/drinking

-----------------------

Western

Books are read from left to right

Chinese

Books are read from right to left

-----------------------

Western

Surnames are last names

Chinese

Surnames are first names

-----------------------

Western

Weddings use the color white

Chinese

Funerals use the color white

-----------------------

Western

Preference for the North and West

Chinese

Preference for the South and East

-----------------------

Western

The Western compass points north

Chinese

The traditional Chinese compass points south

-----------------------

Western

Red generally represents chaos and evil

Chinese

Red generally represents prosperity and happiness

----------------------

Western

In the west, the dragon is generally considered dangerous, destructive and evil

Chinese

To the Chinese, the dragon is a noble creature who brings good luck and good potents

----------------------

Western

Rules and Regulations are written boardly but what is written is enforced very strictly

Chinese

Rules and Regulations are written very strictly but enforcement is selective

----------------------

Western

Emphasis is placed on the individual and independence. Society is a collection of individuals

Chinese

Emphasis is placed on the society and the role of the person in the social fabric

----------------------

Western

Situations are changed to suit the individual

Chinese

The individual changes and adapts to the situation

----------------------

Western

Fundamental belief in that man is born evil but can be saved as expounded in the Christian/Jewish view of human nature

Chinese

Fundamental belief in that man is born good but can be corrupted as expounded in the Confucian view of human nature

----------------------

Western

Emphasis on breathing correctly using the rise and fall of the chest

Chinese

Emphasis on breathing correctly using the diaphragm to improve the Chi

----------------------

Western

Encouraged to express and to show feelings

Chinese

Encouraged to internalise and not to show emotions

----------------------

Western

Presents are usually opened in front of the giver

Chinese

Presents are usually opened in private

----------------------

Liang Jieming

I think the main difference is about male/female relationship.

In US, many forms you fill has a column about your "partner" instead of "spouse". In some cases, the form even asks you to specify if your partner is male or female.

And whenever I told some American friends that I have married for over 10 years, usually the first response is "Still the same one?"

Moreover, many single American women in her 50s or even 60s (plenty) always talk about their "Boyfriend" -- (That is the exact word they used.)