Chinese-Forums

What's the overall religious atmosphere in China?

xuechengfeng

Can somebody give me a breakdown?

Christian/Buddhist/Confucian ( do they even consider this a religion in China, or more a code of conduct? ) /Muslim/Jewish

etc. etc.

%'s?

Local experience?

I ask because recently someone said that a prediction had China at 80% Christian in the future, which I don't believe for a moment.

beside foreign companies and industries eyeing on the chinese market, foreign religious groups are quite keen in the religious sector too. i have came across many times foreign christianity group trying to preach 'illegally' in china. china had this policy of disallowing foreign religious group preaching in china, cos they had suffered a century ago, when foreigners invaded china using the excuse of protecting their religious groups and believers in china.

What I don't get is how these missionaries want to spread their Christianity all over the world, and basically force it down peoples throats, when a lot of the Christians I know probably don't compare morally to most Chinese.

Confucian values were/are much more closely followed than Christian values.

christianity has an edge certainly, because they are so actively preaching their belief and their doctrines, compared to other religions in China. e.g. Buddhism is 姜太公钓鱼。

sad but true - but i'm afraid most chinese would be very susceptible to the so-called christians' influence, especially of those fanatical ones. i mean just look at what they did to korea. come to think of it, most of the christians' proselytizings i've witness are very propagandist - i'm sure they must sound familiarly "warm and fuzzy" to the mainland populations. to let yourself go and give yourself up to GOD is so much more easier than losing your mind contemplating about life.

i have came across many times foreign christianity group trying to preach 'illegally' in china

i don't think there's a place on earth they won't go - look at the arab/muslim countries.

What I don't get is how these missionaries want to spread their Christianity all over the world, and basically force it down peoples throats, when a lot of the Christians I know probably don't compare morally to most Chinese.

depends on how they spread it i guess. it's disgusting to me that how some people can think they are doing good by witholding help to those poor and needy unless they accept their god. funny how they always preach "love thy neighbour" but often time ended up resorting to violent acts.