Chinese-Forums

Meaning of a symbol -- Help needed please

Iainthg

It's a character, not a symbol. 嘉 means "excellent".

You can place it into your favourite text editor and resize it to any size you want. If it doesn't display above, you need to install Chinese language support in your OS.

Thanks very much for the replies and the characters. Yes I am trying to do both of my kids names. I spoke to a gentleman that is from main land China and he said they were as close as I was going to get. I realize that you could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers as there is no direct translation and it is very subjective. I am just trying to get as close as I can without it having a negative meaning!

It's not even a translation. It's basically picking a completely new name, one that sounds similar to the English one.

And yeah, Jiama (the two characters put together) is quite close and the meaning is nice.

Using "Jie" instead of "Jia" could also be a possibility.

Just one small thing. I think that when picking a Chinese name, it's quite important to speak it out loud since there are many phrases that sounds all the same but hold different meanings. If a name sounds like something else, it can be very intresting or...embarrassing. Just a small reminder, hehe.

Anyway, the most improtant thing is that you like your name.

By the way, what's your daughter's surname?