Chinese-Forums

Vocabulary learning strategy

SunDaYu

The past few weeks I have been using an interesting way of learning vocabulary that I would like to share with all of you. I know that if has some flaws, so if someone could recommend some ways of enhancing the method then I'm all ears.

Here I go: So, whenever I look up a word in my electronic dictionary, I save it. By the end of my average day I would have looked up between 30-40 new words. I type all of these words into a Chinese word processor, like NJStar, and divide the definition and the characters on the page. From there, I review the words from the top down and any word that I don't know, I copy it and place it at the end of the list.

What I found is that on a daily basis there are certain words and certain phrases that I tend to use more than others. Even in English there are certain grammars and certain words that I use more regularly than others. From this method, I that out of every 30-40 words, there are 5-6 that I use regularly. I highlight those words and place them into a separate list of "high use words" where I give extra attention to studying them because I'll probably use them in the near future.

The only problem with this method is that I cover a lot of vocabulary, and if I get even a few days behind I become swamped with hours of work. Also, I'm not sure how I should account of the words I feel like I know well. Right now I just delete them, but I was thinking I should put the ones I know really well into another file of "Well Known Words" so that I'll only review those weekly or something like that.

Your thoughts?

Yes.

Sorting out the words that are common is a good strategy, but when it gets to memorising, spacing repetitions out, etc., there are programs that do it for you. Anki and Mnemosyne are both popular and free programs that do exactly this.