Chinese-Forums

study mandarin in HongKong?

jobin

any opinions about stuying mandarin in HK? i will be there for 6-8 weeks and want to continue my elementary level listening/speaking. are 普通话 speakers rare? need i look to local univ to find a tutor and just post a notice nearby my house?

Most universities in Hong Kong offer short and long term Mandarin classes. For example, the Chinese University has various summer courses ranging from 1 to 15 weeks:

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc/summer.htm

But their prices are quite high. Otherwise it is possible to take classes or arrange private sessions at one of the many language schools. For example, YMCA offers rather cheap courses:

http://www.ymcahkcollege.edu.hk/pdf/Putonghua_Jul09.pdf

Putonghua speakers quite rare outside Hong Kong's tourist areas (TST, Ocean Park, Disneyland etc) and universities (there are many students from mainland China). On the street you will almost always hear Cantonese. Because of that Hong Kong does not offer an immersive environment for Putonghua and you will probably mainly use and hear it during your language classes. Also, even though many Hong Kong people know some basic Putonghua most prefer speaking Cantonese or English.

However, if you want to try out your Putonghua, you always have the option to make a quick trip across the border to Shenzhen where it is the most spoken language now.

Thanks SEBKH,

As i read the CUHK info, i learn that only if i have a HK student visa can i enroll in any learning in HK. I will have no such visa, am just a casual visitor from usa. I would say that unless the YMCA does not enforce those rules i may have a chance at that place. i will investigate further and thanks for the tips. And i will have no china visa, so visiting shenzhen is also 'no go'. USA folks not permitted to get short term shopping visa; maybe they don't spend enough!! Probably i will just look for a tutor and have some conversations. HKI visa rules appear stingent and tight.

a sure you can find other Mandarin language centers in Hong Kong who will not ask about your visa status and will be happy to provide you a course. Also, I always thought it very easy to get a visa for China, esp with a US passport