Chinese-Forums

Help me to choose an english name ~

stonelee

at the beginnig: I come from China, the level of my English is just beginning.You can kown my level from these sentences,( i am sure that there some mistakes in these sentences, i hope you can help me to find it and make it right)

I even don't have an English name. My Chinese name is 李石磊,so i want to find an English name that the pronounce will be similar with 石磊(shi2 lei3). Maybe the first letter is "S", because I think it will be similar with the pronounce of shilei.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH~!

I AM A MALE~

我来自中国,英语水平还比较初级...~ 这你们应该可以从我的英文句子里看的出来吧~

我找到这个论坛希望和大家一起提高语言水平~ 当然我希望提高英语水平~:mrgreen: 我可以也可以发挥我中文母语的优势,大家共同进步~!

我想取个英文名字,最好发音能接近我的名字,我姓李,名石磊。所以名字可能会是

XXX LEE。可能会是S字母打头,我觉得这样发音会比较接近。

谢谢大家的帮忙~!:clap

Wow there are a lot of stones in your name. :mrgreen:

Incidentally I have a cousin whose name is simply 石磊 (surname 石, given name 磊). We are not in touch, though.

PS - IMHO, Stone is not bad. :) You could also consider Peter and Pierre and their variants (meaning rock/stone).

Janice※E海波涛

hah.....I feel very excited to see u here....actually,I'm an Chinese who want to use more English in my life, too.I have added u as a friend:)

Okay,come to the point,I think u don't need to have an En name which has the similar pronunciation to your Ch name....that's just my point view:)

Good luck!

to skylee ~ lee is also in your name(skylee), if that means your surname is 李 too?

four stones in my name~ i am proud that ~ haha ~:mrgreen:

you suggest Peter and Pierre and their variants (meaning rock/stone), i think it is OK, i even think about Ferris,because someone told me it means rock, I wish there will have a name both the meaning of rock/stone and pronounce similar with shi2 lei3~:mrgreen: IF this name exist?:mrgreen:

what is the meaning of "PS - IMHO"? and i don't find the button that can quote others replies~!

Although not very common:

actually, Stone itself is already a name, I remember, this news broadcaster had this name in the US..

Stoney is a also a name, see here, which also lists similar sounding names

Sidney sounds to Shilei too, but it has to basically be spelled with the I and not a Y otherwise it becomes a girls name:mrgreen:

Wouldn't go with Stoney though, as I think many people would associate it with a state you're in after inhaling the smoke from a certain plant.

darn, you gave it away. That would have been part of the English learning experience.

hmmm Rockstone, while interesting may be a bit overkill....:mrgreen:

Now i think may be Stoney is a good chance, Stone and Stanley is also good,but i think Stone is for too extensive use and Stanley is less meaning of stone than Stoney.~

How about Stoney?or any other advice?:roll:

我目前觉得Stoney好像还不错,Stone毕竟大多数时候还是表示石头。Stanley也不错,但是觉得不如Stoney那么直接的反应出“石头”,毕竟我名字里面4个石头啊~:mrgreen:

Stoney这个名字是不是会让人一下不知道是男是女?If Stoney is both used as girl's and boy's name?

I wouldn't use "Stoney". It sounds silly, tbh, and I've never heard of anyone with that name. And it reminds me of smoking drugs.

Stanley is at least a "proper" name that everyone is familiar with. People will probably shorten it to "Stan", though.

TO Don_Horhe

Don_Horhe I also think Stanley/Stan are good choices. Wouldn't go with Stoney though, as I think many people would associate it with a state you're in after inhaling the smoke from a certain plant.

i don't understand your meaning clearly,can you explain it? You means Stoney may let people associate some bad things with it?

Stoney 让人有不是很好的感觉?

Stoney is a good chance

Stoney is both used as girl's and boy's name?

No, it isn't and it's not a regular name either(Stoney 也不是人的名字,听起来有点可笑,还有它的含义不好。你是看不懂上面的英文吗?他们在逗你 :mrgreen:

But if you choose to go with Stoney, Rocky is just as good. Sooo macho :wink: I mean: Rocky比Stoney强.

Stanley is a bit oldfashioned, Stone is a surname.......Stan is good, though. :clap

PS: I'm so sad you didn't like Rockstone, 听起来很强 (嗯 你懂 overkill 吗?)