Chinese-Forums

What do I have to do to get my residence permit?

Kingcodez

I signed up at UIBE, and they say they will give me a JW202 form in two weeks or something.

Right now I'm on a L that expires Aug 4th, but I'm leaving to go to the US on July 25th.

Hopefully I will get it here fast enough, if not then do I need to hire a agent in the US to do the visa stuff for me, or do it my self? Since I have the JW202 form, would I then have to give the other papers, and apply for a X visa (in NY for example) or do I apply in the US, for a residence permit?

When I get to china, will i be here in a X visa, or a residence permit? (assuming all goes well, and I register with this and that, do everything I need to do).

Also I will take class for one year, In december I will go home for christmas, and again in January, again if I have time in the spring, and again during summer for a bit. I plan to go to HK a few times, and maby some other places. Is this THING that I will be in china on, (X or permit) Multiple entries/Unlimited stay?

IF I convert my L to X do I have to 'exit and reenter' china?

Also, about the PSB, I've been here for awhile, but I don't really live anywhere. I stay with my GF, I couch surf, I pay a friend to 'use' one of his houses for lengthy amounts of time, but I don't have anything in my name, or live anywhere for any period of time. I also travel a bit.

When I first came, I registered with the PSB, when I came for the second time, I did again, but it said my 'exit' date was 2 weeks before my real 60 day exit date... When I got back I moved again, ect ect. Never re-registered.

When I go to school, I will live at my girlfriend's house, actually we will rent a new apt because it is close to UIBE. Then I will have a real address and a real mailbox. Since I've been in china off and on for 6 extra months past my last PSB registration, will they get mad?

In short:

I want to get my X visa before I leave china, since getting a NEW L visa will cost money in the US. Plus it might be hard because of Sept 12th.

Will the PSB be mad since I haven't registered with them in 6 months?

Can I leave and reenter china, everyday if I wanted to, on my X visa?

What happens next year, when I enroll in a 4 year college, and get a 'new' X visa? DO I have to leave china and reenter for it to 'activate'?

Have a look at this thread. It covers some of the questions you raise here.

In short, you should apply for an X visa using your JW202 form when you get back to the states.

When you re-enter China on that X visa you are required to convert that to a residence permit within 30-days of entry.

To convert it to a residence permit, you need to first register at the school (so make sure you don't come 30-days before the start of semester).

You will also need a registration slip from the local PSB for your accommodation. This should be for your new accommodation where you will be living during your study. Because you have left the country, they probably won't care about your lack of previous registration.

Once you have a residence permit, you can exit and enter China as many times as you wish, without needing any further documentation.

It will probably be difficult/impossible to change your current L-visa to an X-visa before you have registered with the school at the start of the semester. In any event, it will also cost you money to do this, so it's not going to be too different from if you just apply from the US.

What happens on Sept 12 that makes it difficult to get a visa? There has been a tightening of visas in the lead up to the 60th anniversary of the founding of the PRC on October 1, however if you have legitimate enrollment for a 1-year course with a Chinese university I don't think there will be too many issues.

I'm not sure what will happen after the year is up and you enroll in a 4-year course. If it is at the same university they will probably be able to help you. Otherwise, you will probably need to exit and apply for a new X-visa.