Chinese-Forums

Chinese Changes Your Mind - LITERALLY

SkyFitsHeaven

Hey guys, I was just reading this article which explains why I sometimes get headaches when I'm studying Chinese. LOL. These researchers found that spoken Chinese changes your brain. Check this link to read the article.

It's interesting indeed, even though the sample size is small. Here's the original source if you want more details: http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19530216?ordinalpos=9&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Unfortunately, the study is not available online. I'll try from my university tomorrow, perhaps we have a subscription.

Judging on the abstract alone, there is no evidence to suggest that the brain structure was the result of learning Chinese, only a correlation was established on a small sample. It is possible that the brain structure was the reason for being able to learn Chinese, and not a consequence.

But I can't read the full study, so I don't know what exactly it claims.

I don't think it's too surprising. People's brains change when they learn new skills, for example London taxi drivers have an enlarged area of the brain that deals with spatial memory, or whatever. I guess it's similar to saying that your body will change if you cycles every day -- ie your legs will get bigger.

However I guess it's comforting to know that the more you practise tones, the better you'll get!