Chinese-Forums

Difference between 听得懂 and 听懂

uk_laowai

Hey, newbie here. I've been lurking here for a while, so I thought I'd come out of the shadows to post a question that's been on my mind quite some time now. So my question, what is the difference between 听得懂 and 听懂, 看得懂 and 看懂, 听得见 and 听见, etc?

One more question while I'm at it - how are 会 and 要 used to express future tense, and what's the difference between the two?

The 得 in this type of construct expresses the ability to where as if you don't use that it mean that you understood. 看得懂 ability to understand what you read. 看懂 means that you understood what was read.

Simply put 会 express the certainty/definitiveness [ie I WILL for sure do it] of what you are going to do and 要 expresses the plan of doing it.

你听得懂吗 Can you understand?

你听懂吗 Do you understand?

As muyongshi pointed out, the first emphasizes the ability to do something; the second, whether an action (here, understanding via listening) is/has taking/-en place. If you really want to emphasize the past tense aspect you can add 了 after the verb, but Chinese is generally not nearly as time-conscious and exacting in this regard to the degree English is.

When we say 看得懂(听得见),得indicates the possibility,so the sentence actually means:Is it possible for you to understand?In the meantime,看懂(懂)reflects the result,it means not only to read or watch,but also unstand completely.See the different answers?

1 你懂得懂吗? 我听不懂。

2 你听懂了吗? 没懂。