Chinese-Forums

Tattoo Name Translation Help..Please

johnny5

Yi sha bei er

It's a phonetic transcription of "Isabel". It's not exactly your daughter's name, it's how a Mandarin speaker would transcribe the approximate sound. It doesn't really mean anything.

Consider also the traditional character version: 伊莎貝爾

It's a common transliteration for "Isabelle". The font is the eqivalent of Times New Roman, nothing exciting. The script is simplified Chinese, even less exciting.

But really why would you want to tattoo something you don't understand on your body? We could be cheating you, you see. We could tell you that 異煞卑兒 means "Isabelle" and would you believe us?

So it does say isabel then? but not correctly.

Not quite.

You cannot write "Isabel" correctly using Chinese characters, because "Isabel" is not a Chinese word. You are using the Chinese writing system to write a foreign word that can't even be pronounced in Chinese.

But when Chinese people write "Isabel", that is what they write. It's not wrong, it's how "Isabel" is written in Chinese. It is also how "Isabel" is pronounced by Chinese (Mandarin) speakers.

So it is correct, but be aware that any such transliteration will be only approximate and that this is why people are generally advised not to get transliterations like this tattooed.

I cant see the traditional character version, is hasnt come out? its just showing as squares.

You will need to install Asian fonts or something like Arial Unicode. I don't have a picture handy to attach. There is a Microsoft web-fonts package you can install to make sure you can read most webpages.

You cannot write "Isabel" correctly using Chinese characters, because "Isabel" is not a Chinese word. You are using the Chinese writing system to write a foreign word that can't even be pronounced in Chinese.

But when Chinese people write "Isabel", that is what they write. It's not wrong, it's how "Isabel" is written in Chinese. It is also how "Isabel" is pronounced by Chinese (Mandarin) speakers.

I agree, but even if the transliteration doesn't convey the original meaning of Isabel , in choosing names and even in transliteration of foreign names only those characters are used which carry a positive meaning. So you should pay attention to the meaning of characters chosen. This what has been hinted at in post #4.

In Chinese each of the four characters used for Isabel has a meaning of its own:

yi this/that

sha means sand

bei means seashell, ext. to treasure, or precious, darling as in: 宝贝, so it's very good for a name

er means you

&

la means pull by the hand as in a helping hand

Additionally, translated from its meaning into Chinese, Isabel, Isabella or Isabelle would become just another phrase: 上帝的誓言 Shangdi de Shiyan, God's Oath (from Hebrew Elisheva, where Eli means God & sheva is number seven, sacred number used in oaths).

Would this be a better way of having it in a tattoo for example? rather than the version I found

Yes, I think so, because it's written in calligraphy & in traditional (whole shape) characters that Renzhe gave you in post #2. The version you found is written in simple style and in abbreviated characters. Both are correct though, so it's up to you to choose the one you like best.

Hmmm, thanks Imron very interesting and I totally understand where your coming from so I'm giving it 2nd thoughts, well having my daughters name done in Chinese anyway.

I might go for her name in english, and then maybe have a chinese saying done in their symbols etc, something to do with a daughter maybe. Can anyone recommend a good saying and show what it looks like in chinese. :-?

Thanks again to everyone whos contributing.

I might go for her name in english, and then maybe have a chinese saying done in their symbols etc, something to do with a daughter maybe. Can anyone recommend a good saying and show what it looks like in chinese.

That would the a much better thing to do, in my opinion. A Chinese phrase in Chinese is more meaningful than a transliteration.

The other advice I would give is that if you end up getting a Chinese phrase tattooed, make sure you get it done by someone with expertise in tattooing Chinese characters. We get quite a few people here asking to tell them the meaning of their friend's (or their own) tattoo, and sometimes even if the tattoo means what they think it means, often the actual calligraphy is terrible (dots/lines/gaps where there shouldn't be, incorrect proportion/spacing for strokes, added "flourishes" by the artist to make it look "more Chinese" but that make it look worse to someone who can read Chinese etc).

Also, if you haven't already done so, be sure to check out Hanzismatter.com.

Thanks Imron, I'll bare that in mind. I've got to say, I never expected this kind of response, and all your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Can anyone recommend any suitable phrases to go with a daughters name? if so what would they look like.

I don't know what kind of saying you have in mind. I'm not familiar with any idioms with the word daughter in them, there are many for males, though, as sons are traditionally favoured in the East. Anyway, the Chinese have many, and some rather dramatic expressions in praise of female beauty. If I got it right, you mean to tattoo your daughter's name in English then add a Chinese phrase to it? Until someone else comes up with a better idea, here are most common Chinese phrases for female appearance, and I hope you have installed Asian fonts so you can read them:

玉貌花容 yumaohuarong

or

如花似玉 ruhuasiyu

beautiful like jade, pretty like a flower

避月羞花 (simplified) biyuexiuhua or 閉月羞花 (traditional)

so beautiful she makes the moon hide and flowers feel ashamed to show their faces

Not sure if the OP is the father or the mother, but either case I would think it is funny that if the OP has a tattoo of one of those flattering expressions.

I think there is an error re "避月羞花 (simplified) biyuexiuhua or 閉月羞花 (traditional)".

Thanks for these. I call her flower as a nickname, so something about a flower would be good. so 'Pretty Like a Flower' would be good or something similer.

So Leeyah is 'Pretty Flower' the one that says ruhuasiyu?

I haven't got the asian fonts installed at work, so will look when i get home.

Yes, that's the one, and I think it'll look good with your daughter's name, but like Imron already said, do make sure you get a good tattooist who is familiar with Chinese characters to do it, then you'll be fine. I managed to find this calligraphic version of ruhuasiyu for you:

Cheers!

2518_thumb.attach

2519_thumb.attach

2520_thumb.attach

2521_thumb.attach