Chinese-Forums

容易译错的词语 / Mistranslated English phrases & idioms in Chinese

leeyah

Most of the Dutch something-or-the-other phrases are somewhat derogatory, and Leeyah you're right, it's for historical reasons: the English (British) were at war with the Dutch (don't know which war), and so slandered the Dutch a bit in those expressions. It also happened to the French, or is 'French disease' (Franse ziekte, syphilis) not an English term?

Another reason is that the Dutch are known for being stingy, hence 'Dutch treat' and 'going Dutch'. (And the joke: how was copper wire invented? By two Dutch fighting over a five-cent coin.)

Interesingly, 'double Dutch' means something very different in Dutch. The English words are used, but they mean double-safe sex, pill + condom. Haven't heard it for ages, actually, but I don't know if that's because it has fallen out of use or just because no one I know feels the need to bring it up anymore.

Good joke, Lu & right, there's history behind every derogatory expression for neighbours in all languages (reminds me of 蒙猪眼 in Chinese) but Double Dutch is good to know (I learned it from a song, 80s). And yes, there seems to be an equal amount of bias against the French.

Bathrobe, thanks a lot for more info on Indian tagged phrases & the out-of-date but still puzzling 'French letter' (I was puzzled by the use of 'letter' in the context...)

have no idea of the historical background or why Indians (Native Americans) get lumbered with this image

Well, the Chinese seem to have an explanation for everything :mrgreen: Here's history behind the origin of 'Indian giver' translated as 印第安送礼人, plus a bit about a famous miser in Chinese history, 晋朝富翁王戎, who seems to have had either Dutch or Native Indian blood in his veins 8) (or perhaps his mum was a Greek (古希腊) princess or something, considering the fact that he lived around 200AD or so...):

晋朝富翁王戎生性非常吝啬。《世说新语》说,他侄儿结婚的时候,他只是送了一件单衣做贺礼,后更责之(后来还要讨回)。王戎真是美国人说的 Indian giver(印第安送礼人)了。

>>>按从前印第安人有这样的习俗∶送礼给人家之后,人家必须回赠礼物,否则他们是会讨还的。白人最初和印第安人接触的时候,不知道印第安人有这种习惯,结果印第安人往往向他们讨还礼物,他们也就觉得印第安人吝啬了。后来,凡是送礼而指望人家回赠或奉还的人,都叫做 Indian giver;他们送的礼物,就叫做 Indian gift,例如∶ He is an Indian giver; he will be displeased if you don't give him an equally expensive gift in return(他是要人家还礼的,你不回赠他一件同样值钱的礼物,他会不高兴。)

And, no...I haven't been able to find a Chinese equivalent for this kind of stinginess. 舍不得 is just too mild, or not?

Coffee: yes, there seems to be a difference in translation, depending on whether it's pure black coffee, no additives 纯咖啡/黑咖啡/清咖啡 or milk & sugar 奶咖啡 variants, or the more popular 三合一, but I agree that 纯咖啡 is the most common, as confirmed by Semantic nuance.

So... here's the correct Chinese definitions of:

Indian giver 送东西给人日后又讨回的人

Indian summer 深秋初冬的一段晴和的气候

black stranger 生人, 陌生人

& two more interesting phrases:

green eyed (monster) 红眼病 ? (不是 "绿色的眼睛") >>> envy, jealousy

fair weather friend 酒肉朋友 (不是 "晴天的朋友")

PS: Talk about Indians and illusory, this may be interesting: in Spanish fictitious stories i.e. stories which no one believes are true, are called cuentos chinos (=Chinese stories) :mrgreen:

:wink:

Edited by leeyah

Most of the Dutch something-or-the-other phrases are somewhat derogatory, and Leeyah you're right, it's for historical reasons: the English (British) were at war with the Dutch (don't know which war), and so slandered the Dutch a bit in those expressions. It also happened to the French, or is 'French disease' (Franse ziekte, syphilis) not an English term?

British / Dutch terms probably stemmed from the fighting over South Africa in the Boer War or the Second Boer War?

Coffee: yes, there seems to be a difference in translation, depending on whether it's pure black coffee, no additives 纯咖啡/黑咖啡/清咖啡 or milk & sugar 奶咖啡 variants, or the more popular 三合一, but I agree that 纯咖啡 is the most common, as confirmed by Semantic nuance.

I polled four people, what do you call coffee without sugar or milk? Without any suggestions, they all said 黑咖啡.

google hits for "黑咖啡" 596,000

google hits for "純咖啡" 57,000

However, that doesn't necessarily mean all the hits for "黑咖啡" mean "black coffee" or that it is the preferred term by those knowledgable about coffee.

Interesingly, 'double Dutch' means something very different in Dutch. The English words are used, but they mean double-safe sex, pill + condom. Haven't heard it for ages, actually, but I don't know if that's because it has fallen out of use or just because no one I know feels the need to bring it up anymore.

It must have fallen out of use, I've never ever heard this. But then that may be due to my southern roots ;)

And trien27, I'm not sure which war it was either, to tell you the truth. It was probably not one specific war, but just the general spirit of hostility between the Dutch and the English, not only during the Boer Wars but also during the Anglo-Dutch wars, the colonial battles in the Far East and, of course, due to the fact that the Dutch settled New Amsterdam which they then failed to turn over to the British upon their polite request. What oafs they were, those Dutch! :)