Chinese-Forums

My listening-comprehension drill

querido

From the audio I've already chopped up to make flashcards, select some big subset. For example, Vol. 5 in my textbook series has about 90 "sentences" (lines of poetry that are not necessarily full sentences). Make a playlist of these. Play this in an audio player (Amarok) that can insert gaps between them (I've been using six seconds). Set it to random... repeat playlist... and let it go. Every time I hear and understand a sentence perfectly, I go right-click...remove from playlist, whittling down the list. Look up the last few to confirm, if necessary. Repeat later.

For some time I've noticed that my reading-comprehension cards were promoted away quickly, while I suffered a glut of listening-comprehension cards. Duh- this means I needed to increase my listening work. While this is hard to measure, there is no doubt at all that I have enjoyed a noticeable step-up in the last week.

• 4 weeks later...

The new version of Amarok does not have this setting to add silence.

Fortunately, I found another option. The legendary foobar2000 has a plugin, foo_dsp_silence, that can add a variable length of silence between tracks.

Edit 10SEP09

...and another: Audacious has a setting "space between songs" (or "silence between songs").

But, listening to bigger chunks now, the topic of this thread is a lot less important.

end edit.

Edited by querido