Chinese-Forums

dial-up internet

Sam

i just paid 20 kuai today for a month unlimited access...

i dont know if that's expensive as i have had free broadband for the past 6 months...

i am interested in how much the phone costs are for every hour i am online... rather than start another thread i'll ask here

polly

Dial-up works out a LOT more expensive than broadband - my costs went from 300-500Y per month to 120Y per month when I moved to broadband.

As for specific dial-up costs, it depends - there are lots of different providers with different rates and services. I'd imagine the competition from broadband is lowering prices, though I haven't checked.

Roddy

Hmm, I guess you MIGHT be able to use IP cards, but I doubt it.

Those figures I quoted are for pretty high use though - between general email, surfing, running the websites and leaving it connected while I watched DVDs / uploaded files I probably had it on a lot.

Roddy

i m not sure the situation right now, but i used to use a dial up monthly card provided by 263 corp. the face value is RMB70, but you can buy it by RMB30 at any IT store. and i believe there are lots of more cheaper ones in the market. BTW, why dont you just access DSL sevice? it's installing for free and costing only RMB120 per month.

why dont you just access DSL sevice

yeah, i intend to, but i am using dial-up as a stop gap before getting it connected...

ATM, i am a little concerned that staying online for 2-3 hours will cost me a fortune for the phonecall... i just wanna know how much it costs per minute in local call costs here using a regular home phone...