Chinese-Forums

Chinese vs. English Language Phone OS

Hong Yang (洪洋)

Hi All,

I need a new toy and from scanning the forums I've set upon getting a new mobile that will support Pleco. Presumably this means getting a Windows OS system (most likely SE X1 or HTC Pro), however my dilemma is whether to get a Chinese or English language Windows OS. I often have to send text messages in Chinese and was told today that if I opt for the English Windows OS that I will not be able to send text messages in Chinese. Is this true? Is there any way around this? Ideally I would still like to have English OS whilst being able to send SMS (or emails for that matter) in Chinese.

Secondly, I am keen to improve my written Chinese skills and would like a 手写 phone. So ideally the text messaging input should support 手写 stylus input for writing characters.

Everyone raves about Pleco so I'd really like to give it a go... However, are there any decent alternatives? Anything on Symbian? Android?

One additional question about Pleco... Can you set the program to allow for a longer time to write characters and to ignore stroke order? This is because a) I write very slowly and most phones I have tried do not allow enough time to write characters and B) I am a 左撇子, so my stroke order is shocking! Plus I'm not really that concerned about getting stroke order correct.

I'd really appreciate any advice, reviews from current users.

Many thanks,

洪洋

I use a samsung Omnia i908. The OS is chinese windows mobile 6.1. I think it is a very decent device. It does support handwriting stylus input and you can adjust the recognition speed. You have to use the soft keyboard for English input. I think handwriting input depends a lot on stroke order so it will be hard to find something that ignores it (if it is possible).

I don't have a Pleco so I don't know anything about it.

Sorry if this is not useful.

I often have to send text messages in Chinese and was told today that if I opt for the English Windows OS that I will not be able to send text messages in Chinese. Is this true? Is there any way around this? Ideally I would still like to have English OS whilst being able to send SMS (or emails for that matter) in Chinese.

Not true.

Get the A4 input system. The phone places all know it, but I don't have a link.

Secondly, I am keen to improve my written Chinese skills and would like a 手写 phone. So ideally the text messaging input should support 手写 stylus input for writing characters.

Not sure.

Everyone raves about Pleco so I'd really like to give it a go... However, are there any decent alternatives? Anything on Symbian? Android?

NHN Makes one - they have symbian. Search NHN Chinese dictionary or lookat ads here.

One additional question about Pleco... Can you set the program to allow for a longer time to write characters and to ignore stroke order?

Yes