Chinese-Forums

Medical exam necessary for X visa?

howlsmovinghips

Hello all,

I will be studying at Tsinghua's mandarin program from September 09 to July 2010. I will be in China a little over 10 months. (arriving September 9, leaving July 15). I do not plan on leaving China anytime during these 10 months.

According to the registration documents I received from Tsinghua, I will need an X visa because I am studying for more than 6 months in china. They included a foreigner physical exam sheet along with the J-202. Tsinghua's documents also say that all X visa holders need to complete the exam sheet. However, according to the US China embassy site, I only need to complete the exam sheet if I plan to stay in China over 1 year, which I do not (only 10 months!).

I am due for a physical with my physician this Monday. I will not be having any blood tests/ECG/x-rays done, just a basic physical. I do not have health insurance so I would like to avoid having this sheet completed in the US at all costs. (too expensive!)

The whole situation is stressing me out a bit, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Whether or not you need the exam seems to depend on your local Chinese embassy. At least in London it's not required, and I guess it's the same for you, but you could ring them up and check. However, you will still need to do it in China to get your residence permit.