Chinese-Forums

Finding an exam proctor in Beijing

terrell

Hello all,

I'm currently taking some online courses through an American university, and the time is fast approaching where I will need to take some proctored tests.

The rules stipulate that the proctor must either be a librarian or university faculty member, with an institutional email address.

Has anyone ever arranged for a test proctor before in Beijing? Any tips?

I speak Chinese fairly fluidly, so communication is not the issue. Moreso how to start the process - Where do I go? Who do I see?

Thanks!

- terrell

Basically, I'm looking for someone who meets the criteria listed here: http://eli.nvcc.edu/testinginfo.htm#proctor

"ELI requires that a proctor be a staff member at a college or university testing center, a full-time faculty member, or a professional librarian."

The proctor will have to fax a letter to the school on their organization's letterhead, as well has provide an organizational email address for the exam to be sent to. They won't send exams to gmail, hotmail, etc. accounts.

I'm also a terrible procrastinator and now in a bit of a time crunch.

So, if anyone knows someone in Beijing who meets the above criteria, or of an efficient way to find such a person, I would greatly appreciate the relevant contact details/information.

The same webpage also states that there is compensation involved, to be determined by the proctor and paid by me:

"As the student, it is your responsibility to secure a proctor and to pay any fees charged by the proctor."

Since no one else has given a better reply:

Are you studying at a university? If so, ask one of your professors, or a librarian.

If not, perhaps you have friends who are in universities. Ask them if they know a suitable person and if they can introduce you.

If you don't know (anyone who knows) anyone who would be suitable, you can try just going to a university and ask if there is anyone there who can help you. It probably helps if you mention you can pay for the service.

Good luck finding someone, and good luck on the exam!

What does the US have in the way of cultural organizations like the British Council, Germany's Goethe Institute, etc? The British Council, for example, has an Exam Services Officer who I suspect may be able to help out in cases like this - although if they could / would do it for a US citizen I don't know.

roddy: For distance learners, the United States has the National College Testing Association:

http://www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php

Unfortunately, this network of proctors only covers the United States and Canada.

The U.S. Embassy has its Information Resource Center where one might find a librarian to act as a proctor. However, the last time I wrote to them, they ignored me so it would probably be best to call.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/irc.html

Edited by Xiwang