Chinese-Forums

meaning of medicine leaflet text?

Holland

Without the context the extent of hazard is a bit unclear.

威胁生命 means 'endanger life/life hazard', so logically the medicine tested can endanger testee's health (actually it says 'life') but then it goes on to say it is not exactly lethal?! !

Here's the translation:

hazardous to health (the patient/testee may suffer hazards to his health, (but this ) does not indicate that in the event of aggravation it may result in (hypothetical/the possibility of ) patient's/testee's death)

威胁生命(事件发生时受试者有生命危险的事件;不是指如果更严重的话可能引起死亡的假设事件)

Where have you got this from? The use of 受试者 makes me think it's referring to incident reporting for drug trials, rather than normal use of medicine. My reading would be

Threat to life (The subject's life is in danger. Does not include hypothetical circumstances where death may have resulted had the situation been worse.)

This is not something I expect to see on a packet of aspirin.

As you've guessed, it's an Application Form for Clinical Drug Trials - I was asked by a client to give the English translation a 'quick scan' for grammatical and spelling errors, but the more I read, the less I understood of the text. (To make matters worse, I don't speak any Chinese).

At least one part of the text will be clearer now. Thanks so much for your help, Roddy & Leeya!