Chinese-Forums

Could someone help me identify the date of a Japanese timetable?

anonymoose

Can someone help me identify the date of validity of the timetable in the image attached?

This timetable has the year '1998' penciled in on the cover, presumably by the person who picked it up. However, I notice that under section 1 on the first panel, it mentions something about leap years. The year 1998 was not a leap year (1996 and 2000 were).

Also, I'm curious about the marking at the bottom of the cover (the 3rd panel in the image) which says 'H9.12.1改訂'. I'm just guessing here, but could the H stand for Heisei (the current Japanese era), in which case Heisei year 9 would be 1997? However, this still doesn't explain the discrepancy with the leap year, unless it was anticipated that the timetable would be valid all the way up to the year 2000 (which is unlikely since most Japanese airlines issue timetables monthly).

2545_thumb.attach

It's a Nagasaki Airlines timetable.

It was revised on December 1 of the year Heisei 9* or 9th year of Heisei* or 1997. The user got the copy in 1998, that's why 1988 was penciled in?. Maybe the person picked it up from someplace to study Japanese or whatever reason?

*1st year of Heisei or H1= 1989, so 9th year of Heisei or H9 = 1989 + 8 = 1997.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nengo#Neng.C5.8D_in_modern_Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisei

The leap year part is probably just a general guideline for if the year was a leap year, not saying whether that year 1997 is a leap year. Maybe it was due to the previous year being a leap year?! And it was just printed as a reminder for future reference concerning leap years?

So any idea why the date would be written as H9.12.1 and not use kanji for the year? It seems a bit strange.
"H9.12.1" doesn't look like to be part of the info intended for the public, but only a note for internal use, and is therefore brief & unobstrusive.