Chinese-Forums

Help with 5 words English --> Chinese

sweede

Hey, shall do my first tattoo and i want it to describe me, so my idea is to add some foreign language and the only one that fits me is a Asian language (because of the culture) and the Chinese is one of the most language that people use. :)

So the five words i want help with is (don't trust the Babelfish/Google translate etc):

Common sense (Thinking perspective)

Logical (Thinking perspective)

Critical (Thinking perspective)

Chaos (Overall meaning)

Respect (Overall meaning)

Don't know how it's with words spelled same/words meaning same so i wrote them how i would like to use them.

thx //sweede

Also, you'd probably want to decide whether you want the script written in Traditional or Simplified characters.

Common sense is 常识 using simplified strokes, but 常識 using traditional. I personally think tattoos should be done in traditional font...

it seems to that the five words mean:

常识 (n.)

有逻辑的 (adj.)

批判的 (adj.)

混乱(n.)

尊敬 (n.)

i am curious that why you choose common sense and chaos to be you motto or to describe you.

Thx, well common sense is in a atheist way since i don't get tricked by the book the christian calls "The Holy Bible" and many think that book is just made by a imaginary story... The bible contradicts itself many times and have what i think very odd punishment of people i don't stand for (like stone people to death and rape). Therefor i want to have common sense to not get tricked by something unrealistic/unreal.

Also, you'd probably want to decide whether you want the script written in Traditional or Simplified characters.

Common sense is 常识 using simplified strokes, but 常識 using traditional. I personally think tattoos should be done in traditional font...

Yes, traditional is what i prefer but if i can't find it i take simplified :P

btw are all the others written in traditional?

Therefor i want to have common sense to not get tricked by something unrealistic/unreal.
But not the common sense to avoid getting a random jumble of words tattooed permanently on your body in a language you don't speak? :conf

I hope you've had a good look at Hanzismatter. Even if the random collection you've chosen doesn't end up meaning something completely strange when all put together you've still got to worry about the tattoo artist having no clue about Chinese and making it look ugly (or reversed, or incorrect).

It's also not a good idea to take the advice of random strangers on the Internet (no matter how well intentioned) e.g. 批判的 (adj.) is not critical (thinking perspective), but rather critical (criticising perspective).

Have been looking at few examples at Hanzimatter.

Tattoo artist are tattoo artist by one reason they are good at it, and if i just get the symbols for each word i would have print it out mark it so i knew where the top is and explained for the artist how he would do it... if it gets wrong I've explained wrong/bad for him.