Chinese-Forums

homestay vs serviced apartment

dmr1203

Ni hao ma?

I am coming to the BLCU and am looking at either homestay or a serviced apartment called Cyber Tower. The apartment is private and is about 1500 dollars for the month(ouch, but at least I will be comfortable). I have checked with a company called Lotusstudy.com for the homestay, and you actually get to pick a family. I am going to book directly with BLCU to save money, but has anyone had a good homestay experiance? Do they leave you alone if you want?

Would you guys get an apartment or do a homestay? xie xie

$1500 is a rip off - well actually I guess it depends on how luxury the apartment is, but it's damn expensive compared to what you can find around BLCU.

I used to live in an apartment compound just north of BLCU called 东王庄. I was living in a homestay, and was paying 900 RMB a month (~US$100). Friends of mine were renting a partially furnished 2 bedroom apartment in the same compound for 2,500 RMB a month (~US$300), and I had other friends living in a more upmarket apartment complex in Wudaokou (i think it was called 华清家园 or something), and they were paying maybe 4,500-5,000 RMB a month (~US$600).

As for my homestay experience, they were a nice family, but we pretty much just had our own separate lives. They did their own thing, and I did mine. Whatever you decide, living off campus is in my opinion a better way to involve yourself in everyday Chinese life.

My advice would be to arrive in China a week or two early, check-in to a cheap hotel, and then go and check out the places around BLCU. I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble finding somewhere (I did much the same, and found my place about a week before the start of semester).

See, that is the problem. I have a wife and 2 children at home that are not coming, so a month is my max. This class is 4 weeks, so unless I find something from the states, I have to settle.

1500 per month works out to be about 50 a day. I have looked at hotels in that price range,and they are absolutely horrible.

xuechengfeng: The $300 was the cost for the entire apartment, so they were paying half that price each.

dmr1203: Ah yes, only coming for one month does make things a bit tricky. Perhaps check out the accommodation classifieds of "that's beijing" http://www.thatsbeijing.com and try to find something there - perhaps even place your own ad (it's a free service). I'm sure you could still find reasonably priced 1 month accommodation. US$1500 a month is awfully pricey.

Don't just look at hotel rack rates - get in touch and ask how much of a discount they'll give you for a month's stay - and then use that as a starting point for negotiations when you actually turn up.

Of course, if you are willing to pay for comfort and convenience, it's up to you - just don't think you have to.

Roddy