Chinese-Forums

摸 - pronunciation

bryce1

Hello,

I was watching the drama 武十郎 and heard "摸" being pronounced with the second tone, in the sense of "touch". My dictionary says it should be the opposite (1st tone) with it means "touch".

Here is the sentence:

"要摸,就摸我的脸蛋"

Translation given : If you want to touch something, touch my face.

Is the 2nd tone also accepted for this character with the meaning of "touch"? (or is my dictionary wrong perhaps.. ? I am using LINGOS, which is most likely based off of CEDICT.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks~

It is a 多音字. Think of the word 模特, which is the second tone and 模拟题. In terms of what you are saying, my guess is that either the mispronounced it or {not trying to doubt you} you misheard. I *don't know of any instances where it would be used in the second with that meaning.

Shoot! I screwed that up- that's what I get for trying to be smart after working 14 hours on 4 hours of sleep.

Either way though... 摸 does have a second tone prononciation and it should mean to imitate or copy. Beyond that, I'm not going to make a bigger fool of myself :roll:

I suspect the mó pronunciation comes from confusion with 模。 None of the dictionaries I have to hand (y'know, the ones in Pleco) list a second tone pronuncation, and the 规范 actually warns against it - 统读mō, 不读māo或mó

Thank you all for your replies! As Leeyah said, it is probably supposed to be a ”摩" in the second tone.

(unless the character is not pronouncing it carefully.. (I have heard that in some dialects of Mandarin, when people are speaking colloquially, there is some type of tone sandhi/not careful pronunciation other than the standard 2-3 tone, 不 and 一.. ?), especially true in Taiwanese/southern Mandarin? not sure if this is true though)

谢谢大家!

• 3 weeks later...