Chinese-Forums

HSK Basic - some thoughts

crjcrj

I have been studying at a language school in Beijing for about a year, but the first few months were on and off and I didn't progress much. Since CNY I have been pretty consistent attending 4 hours a day, although I don't do my homework or have much time out of class to study (two young toddlers to take care of, and family life tend to get prioritised). My teacher says she has taught me 1500 words, but I only remember 1000 haha - I am the slooowest student in the universe, well at least in my school.

I studied NPCR 1 and 2, and Boya Chinese 2, and started the next level of Boya (light blue) as well as a few of the Spoken Chinese books (two?, but I really didn't learn much from those). I am now preparing for the HSK along with my regular classes.

When I thought about the HSK at first, I thought it was just for more 'traditional' students who want to get into university or get a job. But I decided I wanted to take the Basic (Levels 1-3) HSK just to get a feel for my level, and for about 200 rmb and a morning in a test center, why not?

Well, SURPRISE! I am so impressed, the practices tests are EXACTLY my level! I feel like they consolidate all the things I have been learning, but in a different format. Even the things I get wrong (which is about 50% of the grammar! although I am managing about 90% on the readings), I think to myself 'hmm, that looks familiar, I know I have studied it, but just forgot'. It is absolutely brilliant to see everything I have studied (and forgotten) all consolidated in one place. The reading sections are great too - some are 'easy' and there is one hard one in each test that has lots of government words and statistics, but I love the challenge and it is sooo nice to have reading that is not just from a text book or the Hanyu Feng books which I have read all of a few times by now.

I just wanted to share this perspective for a few reasons:

1. Maybe there are other 'beginners' at the around 1000 - 1500 character level who would like to see everything they have learned consolidated in one place - yet a different format from the books with which they are familiar.

2. Maybe there are people who felt the way I did 'why take the HSK?' and this might interest them in it - I heard not many students take the basic test because it doesn't 'give' you entry to anything really... but I think preparing for it is really helping my 水平。

3. Because I am so keen on taking the test, my school is considering offering a free one day a week afternoon practice test followed by review of the answers. If they do, I don't want to be the only student! If they decide, I will let you all know. (they will confirm by next week).

Would love to hear from other people whom have taken the HSK Basic and what they thought about the test.

I guess I'm about where you are now, and after getting hold of the HSK level 1 word list and learning this now I was thinking of attempting the first qualification.

I haven't really looked into the structure until this very minute and I see over at wikipedia there 4 differents tests, and your actual ranking will depend on your result on the test. So you don't simply pass, but pass with a rank, and that's why you're talking about basic 1-3... ignore me I'm just thinking out loud.

I might ask, is it possible to get your hands on publicly available sample material/tests for the HSK exams? I wouldn't mind seeing what's involved. Learning the words is one thing but getting a handle on the grammar is another.

Thanks Roddy, I see the PDFs down the bottom. Actually have been browsing around that site expecting to find something. Would be good though to get a few, the past few years say.

I'm confused now about whether written tests are involved. Wikipedia says yes

The current format for both Basic and Elementary/Intermediate HSK includes four sections: listening comprehension, grammar structures, reading comprehension, and written expressions.

The HSK site lists

1 Listening 1-50 about 35 minutes

2 Grammar 51-90 40 minutes

3 Reading 91-140 60 minutes

Though the new format is described as encompassing written and spoken at all levels and supposed to be completely adopted by the end of 2008 (wikipedia). It looks as though the new format hasn't been adopted but must be very close.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!

Okay, my school has agreed, that it is a good idea to do a FREE HSK Basic class...

To be honest, it seems like I am the only person preparing for, and planning to take, the HSK Basic, and I thought it would be really boring to be on my own and would love some fellow test takers to help with motivation :)

It starts next Monday (30 Aug 2009) from 2:00 - 4:00 pm.

The test is 29 November 2009.

So far there are two other current students besides me who plan to attend this class.

The format of the class is taking a sample class, then reviewing the answers with the teacher.

It's simple, but gives us a chance to take one practice test a week in a structured environment.

You can join for every week or just when you have the time. But you must call the school first to advise them, so they can get a book for you. Of course, you need to buy the book, but they just charge the price on the back of the book, it's just for convenience.

School details here:

http://chinaledu.com/

Jian Wai SOHO B-1003,

39 Dong San Huan Zhong Lu

Chaoyang District, Beijing, China 100022

+86 (10) 5869 5800

info@chinaledu.com