Chinese-Forums

Where Vietnamese people put their shoes

Hofmann

Where do Vietnamese people usually put their shoes?

The first time I had a Vietnamese visitor to my house, they put their shoes outside, and I said they didn't need to do that and someone could just come and take them. Then I started noticing a pattern when another Vietnamese visitor put their shoes outside.

In many countries it is considered rude or dirty to wear shoes inside: Japanan, Laos, Thailand, Iran, China (sometimes) and I guess Vietnam is in the same category. Shoes are left either outside the door or in some special place just inside the door. And it is a mark of respect, of course, to remove one's shoes before stepping into Buddhist or Shinto Temples as well as Muslim Mosques. I'm sure there are many other countries and/or religions who have this custom, but these are just some of the ones I know.

Mado

What Madot said is correct but the extend how far this custom is adhered to can confuse visitors sometimes. For example, in Japan you should always take your shoes off at the entrance of the house but in Viet Nam the custom is not rigidly followed and whether you do it or not depending on many factors (For this reason, houses in Japan always have a specific place for leaving your shoes whereas in Vietnam you'll have to look for such a place.)

Anyway, when in Vietnam, take your shoes off if you you're in doubt and your host will insist that you don't need to, if there is indeed no need for it.

Rule of thumb I think is to follow what the host does. If they take off their shoes, you take off yours, even if they insist you shouldn't.

If Vietnamese have a habit of putting their shoes outside their house, I guess they also have a habit of not stealing such shoes. But abroad it would be wise to leave them inside the door.

What I'm talking about is whenever Chinese people visit me, their shoes are always inside, close to the door. I've always expected shoes to be put inside if taken off. The past few Vietnamese visitors put their shoes outside.

The past few Vietnamese visitors put their shoes outside.
It can simply be that because they were extra cautious so as not to dirty the inside of your house. This has reminded me that I often see people taking their shoes off & leaving them outside before stepping inside a temple, etc.