Chinese-Forums

Short-term Chinese language study in Beijing

gailtb

I live in Britain and have been researching the options for short-term Mandarin classes in Beijing. Below is what I've collected in the hope of saving time for someone else.

I decided to go for a private language school because they generally seem much more flexible than the universities. I didn't find a university course that suited my dates. Also, I'm going to stay in a friend's flat, so a location that was reasonably convenient for that was important to me.

I found 2 sites which cater for Western students wanting to register from their home country:

www.cactuslanguage.com

www.languagecourse.net

Both of them send their students to Global Exchange (www.glexchange.net) in Haidian District. I phoned Cactus and found them very helpful and professional. I would have been very happy to use them. (I didn't because the location of the school is not very good for me.)

Other schools with websites:

Bridge School (www.bridgeschoolchina.com). Roddy, the moderator, has written about this elsewhere on this forum and seemed pretty happy.

Yes International Class (www.yesiclass.com)

Beijing Chinese School (www.beijingchineseschool.com)

I haven't seen any posts about either of these last 2.

I've seen a couple of recommendations for Diqiu Cun (Global Village) in Wudaokou so I'm hoping to study there. (And there's been another on this forum in the last few hours.) It is Korean run so the disadvantage is that you can't get information from the web or by email in Western languages. I got a Chinese friend in Beijing to phone them on my behalf. (Phone no is 62537737.) From his report, they seemed very helpful. I'm planning to go and register as soon as I arrive in Beijing. I'll post again later to let people know whether this is a real option for those of us currently outside China.

Gail

• 2 weeks later...

The first lesson at Diqiucun is at 8am. I arrived at about 8.30 last Monday morning and the registration process took just under half an hour. I didn't have to show a passport or any documentation and there were no questions about visas (I just have a 30-day tourist visa). I joined the class starting at 10am the same day.

So it is possible to just turn up and enrol on the spot. I'm not sure whether you can start on any day during the week, but it seems quite likely.

I had a Chinese friend with me to help, but it should be possible with fairly basic Chinese. There is a sheet of school information in English. On the timetable, at the bottom of each square, there is a number which is the unit in the textbook. There is no entrance test so you have to work out which class is best for you. I went for a fairly easy one because I had previously been taught grammar in English and of course here it is all in Chinese. After a week I think I've more or less caught up on the grammatical terminology.

Sorry, I forgot about the directions for finding the school. I had the address, but this isn't really useful.

From Wudaokou subway station, walk west for about 100 metres. At the first crossroads, turn right (north), onto the road which runs parallel to the underground line. The school is maybe 80-100 metres along on the left-hand side. It has the name written in orange Chinese characters above the door and a blue logo with the words "Diqiucun Language School".

My estimates of distance are a bit vague - 100 metres means "not very far".

For anyone who can read enough Korean or Chinese, the website is at:

http://www.diqiucunschool.co.kr/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...