Chinese-Forums

L, F, or X? 4 months study abroad! URGENT

megadubitably

Hello, I am studying abroad in Xi'an for a little over four months, starting September 8th to January 11th. I am the first from my school to do this, and no one really understands the whole visa thing (and nor do I, I have never been out of the U.S.A. before). I was told to apply for an L visa, and I went to Chicago to do that, and the visa officer wouldn't even accept my application (saying it was illegal, I would get deported after 90 days, my ink was the wrong color, etc...). She told me to apply for an X visa, even though I'm only staying for 4 months, not over 6. I'm missing my JW201 or JW202 forms as well (my Chinese school is supposed to send this to me, correct? Are they difficult to fill out or complete?). I've read that F visas can be for short term study (3-6 months), but again, the visa officer told me that I need to apply for the X visa.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated, I need to get everything together and go back to Chicago in less than two weeks (my flight is on the 7th of September). I don't need a health check to get the visa, do I? I'm getting typhoid shots today...

So far I have:

U.S. Passport

Passport photos

The 2 page Visa Application downloaded from the Chinese Embassy website

Letter of Acceptance from my Chinese school

In order to apply, you need the J202 form from the university where you will be studying. (Be sure to make a photocopy of it and after showing the Consulate the original, let them keep the photocopy because you are supposed to bring the original one with you for registration.) You will notice that the visa form from the Consulate doesn't actually specify which visa you are applying for. The Consulate will decide which one is appropriate. In your case, it will be an X visa. (I got an X Visa for only 3 months of study at BLCU in Beijing), but you need not worry about any of that. You just have to follow the directions exactly (e.g. the ink colour, the number of photos, the fee, etc.) and have the correct documentation for the kind of trip you are planning, in this case a study trip. The main thing is that you can't apply for the visa without the form from the school and you must do it no more than between 1 and 2 months before you intend to leave. They are VERY efficient and usually give you the visa within just a few days.

Cheers!

Mado

My school and advisor are now saying that I should just move my plane ticket a month back (so I would only be staying for three months... ugh) and just get the F visa. They said that if I were to apply for the X visa, that I need to go get a health check, police papers, more government papers, etc.... is this true? Would I need those BEFORE my school sends the JW202? What exactly is the JW202? Do you think I could get everything together before my sept 7th flight?

I don't know how quickly your school will get the JW202 paper for you, but if you are going for only 4 months, I don't think you need a medical or any of that stuff. When I went for 3 months, I got the regular student X visa but since it was for less than 6 months, I didn't have to have any physical. Same for the F-Visa I got for this time. The main thing is to see if the uni will send you the JW202 paper quickly enough. If your Chinese is up to it, you could ring them (or ask a Chinese friend to do it for you).

Good luck!

Mado

Yes you need a JW-202 form for either an F visa or X visa. The school will have to provide this for you. You will need the JW-202 form and your admision letter to apply for this visa. I'd say that the school should give you a F visa (valid for 6 months and no medical check needed).

I would ask the school what to do. I know that some students that cannot get their visa on time, will go to china on a L visa and let their uni convert it to a F visa.

Thank you for your help everyone. I JUST got my jw202 today, and I have a letter that seems quite similar to an admissions letter, but it's bit informal. I hope it counts. I'm going up to Chicago this weekend so I can take care of the Visa this Monday. I hope I can get it! If not, I think I will try for the L Visa then. If the officer lets me.