Chinese-Forums

chinese characters for Lao Por

jaysk

I'm not trying to be a butt head here- I'm just trying to point out that this was something you could find on your own in keeping with the Terms and Conditions of these forums.

• Before asking a question, attempt to answer it yourself – Google, the site search, dictionaries (online or on paper) are good places to start. If you still need help, explain what you have found and why you need more assistance.

It really makes for a nicer learning environment when everyone takes the time and effort to do a little work for themselves.

I dont have a Chinese dictionary no, I did a google search but could not find it there so it was quicker to ask here, I also dont know pin yin and was just guessing how it was written based on me hearing it,

i would not have posted it if I could have found it on Google, not sure what else I can say

you did type lao gong into the Chinese version of Google, it brings up lots of results, but I dont speak Chiense , read Chinese or write Chinese nor understand pin yin.

My English google returns http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=lao+gong&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g7

Wikipedia was the same.

I am actually printing these words on a banner for an elderly Chinese women who is a close family friend for her anniversary and did not want to ask her. I am sorry if you feel I should not have asked here.

Ok, I can understand but the point is that there are so many translators, dictionaries, etc out there that I'm sure you could have found it yourself. You are not wrong in asking, but can you honestly say you did everything within your power to do it yourself? Just keep it in mind....

Gwoyeu romatzyh?

國語羅馬字/Gwoyeu romatzyh is used primarily in Taiwan as a reaction towards "Wade-Giles" & "Han yü Pinyin". Gwoyeu romatzyh is totally different than Zhuyin fuhao or "Bopomofo", as it's commonly known by, due to the sound of the b,p,m,f for each of the symbols at the beginning of this "phonetic alphabet".Since Wade-Giles & Piyin are both still imperfect, people in Taiwan thought they'd try to use a combination of "different spellings" for each tone instead of writing tone marks or using numbers for the tones and minus the use of apostrophes for similar sounding initials.

Wade-Giles was developed by two Britons which imperfectly was used to romanize Chinese.

http://www.dionysia.org/chinese/language/wade-giles.html

Zhuyin symbols are stacked one "letter" on top of another with the tone mark next to each "syllablic word". Rarely is it horizontal.

http://www.mandarinbook.net/pinyin/

Han yü Pinyin is now used worldwide because it uses the Latin alphabet where it's 90% perfect, but still not 100% perfect because some sounds seems to be produced from the throat which sometimes is hard to hear.

Edited by trien27

Since Wade-Giles & Piyin are both still imperfect, people in Taiwan thought they'd try to use a combination of "different spellings" for each tone instead of writing tone marks or using numbers for the tones and minus the use of apostrophes for similar sounding initials.

Gwoyeu Romatzyh was developed on the Mainland when Taiwan was still under Japanese rule.

It is also much older than Pinyin.

Ok, I can understand but the point is that there are so many translators, dictionaries, etc out there that I'm sure you could have found it yourself.
Sometimes, some people don't even know the best place to start. A sub-forum with "quick translations" in the title is not a bad choice.