Chinese-Forums

Seek 6 month Business Mandarin for mid-career

beaker1

IMy goal is to attain passable Mandarin skills in 6 months. I would like a program that combines a business option, seminars anf field trips and perhaps internship - ideally a program with other mid career folks.

My current job is a dead end and I want a career break experience that looks good for re-entry into the job market and that allows me to have a better undertanding of Chinese business and culture.

I am no sinophile. I have no plans to become an expat. I don't specific designs to develop a job which will require me to be in China often. I do not expect that attaining average Mandarin skills will open up loads of career opportunities, but I do hope it helps me stand out at least a little bit. China has and will contune to dominate global affairs and it seems that anyone with the ability to have first hand experience in China should take advantage.

If anyone has any recommendations or comments, I am all ears (eyes).

Hi, I'm an American English teacher living in Haikou, Hainan. The school where I work has a program that could be tailored to your interests. It's very small right now so you'd likely get one on one classes, or very small group lessons. Here's some info:

http://www.omeca.cc/Article/Mandarin/200907/15.shtml

I worked there for about a week once! The boss, William, fired me before I'd taught any classes because I wanted him to adhere to the contract. So, I cannot reccomend it as a place of employment.

On the other hand, one of my good friends had a good experience studying Chinese there several years ago: she ended up marrying her Chinese teacher. He doesn't work there anymore.

Last semester I knew several of the Chinese students there, and they seemed fairly happy with the program. The living conditions in the school are not the best though, I know one guy who got several things (including a laptop) stolen from his room there. If you do study there, might want to look into other accomodations.

If you come to Haikou, let me know! I will be happy to show you around.

Hey, sorry about the late reply. My husband and I moved to Hainan in 2005 and we've been teaching English here ever since - 2 years in Sanya, and we've been in Haikou after that. We love it here. I also taught a summer program in Guangzhou back in '99 and studied one semester at Xiamen University in '00. I'd love to take a year or so off of teaching and just study Chinese (that would be awesome!) but financially it's a bit difficult.

but I do hope it helps me stand out at least a little bit.

You would want to explain why you chose that route at job interviews later on. Hopefully it should go a little beyond this reason. Try and think of other good reasons for doing it and keep it in mind throughout the learning experience. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

hey, maybe you end up liking China once the communication gets easier :)

what I have found is that ppl who have a genuine interest with China tend to progress much faster than others that might study equally hard. Maybe find some things Chinese ppl do you enjoy too?

But that doesnt really answer your question. Whats your budget and do you have any preferences where to study in China? It sounds like it would be good for you to be in a very Chinese environment where you practice a lot (if you want to or not :wink: ), but not sure if you would consider places like that?

beaker1, hopefully you don't mind me asking this, but if you are currently in a job and take 6 months off, will if affect you potentially re-employment after?

I ask this, as in the future (mid-career as yourself) I'd like to take a year off working to study. Even though the year could be shown to be productive, would it be easy to ease back into the working world and find a job at a position of a level previously at?

Is learning Chinese, when working where it is not required, seen as productive by employers?