Chinese-Forums

composing various sentences

ShanShan-yi

hello there,

first of all im new to this forum, and i am trying to learn conversational chinese.

i had a question about composing sentences, can anyone tell me a certain formula to compose different sentences? i know many words now, but i feel like i only know some very simple ways to compose a sentence. i would like to be able to move up to the conversational level. so if some of you could please give me some equations, and/or different sentences that i can use, and exchange the words inside on my own, id be very very grateful!

thanks very much, and best regards,

lu kaa

There are Chinese learning dictionaries that have a sample sentences in English, simplified Chinese, and pinyin.

Learner's Dictionary by Cheng and Tsui (difficult to buy a new copy)

Concise Chinese Dictionary by Tutle Publishing ISBN 978 0 8048 37736 (easy to buy on line.)

One way is the SVO structure, i.e. subject + verb + object. It works under some circumstances.

Why don't you try to write "I love you" and " I hate you" in Chinese (pinyin) using this pattern?

PS - OP, I note that you want to write "more complex" sentences. Could you give an example in English?

hey there

i know how to say things like: i love you, how are you, etcetc. i know many of these things, but im definitely not advanced yet... let me try to give you all a better idea of where im at...

... i can say what i want, what i need, i can make simple observations, and i can hold simple conversations. i know about 400 words, and i know the SVO structure... what i really want is to be able to hold in depth conversations, and say more complex things other than: im hungry, where is the restaurant? oh, this food is good. its a beautiful day today! i like your clothes. should we see a movie? etcetc... i want more realistic conversations, in depth, geeze, do you know what i mean? haha. just maybe, alternative ways to form sentences would be very useful to me! in fact, if we got enough ways to form sentences on here, im sure it would be a help to many beginner and intermediate chinese linguists who read this!

so im looking for other ways to make my sentences, and im working on even more vocab separately. but my goal is to be able to speak mandarin as fluently as i do english, even though i know it will take years. right now, i can be compared to knowing the same amount of chinese as a five or 6 yr old-maybe.

thanks a lot, and i will check out these sites that you listed!

best regards,

lu ka

i know about 400 words......i can be compared to knowing the same amount of chinese as a five or 6 yr old-maybe.

2-year old more like

But seriously, I don't think you're going to get much help with your question here, because it's not possible to give a short concise answer. Basically what you are asking is "can anyone tell me chinese grammar?". Get yourself a grammar book (the one imron suggested is very good) and work through it, and you'll probably see your chinese improve no end.

• Like 1