Chinese-Forums

Please help

CrystalCheung

I am half chinese and white and I have no connection to my chinese family. My middle name is supposed to mean pretty in chinese. My mom spelled it Gum Young. The best she could do to translate how my father prononced it. I looked up pretty to see if she was anywhere close to correct and of course it wasn't. So my question is does anyone have a clue what my middle name means in chinese if it means anything at all. Please help.

I looked up both. My middle name couldn't be pretty in either one. It's possible that it could be another dialect but the only thing I know about my father and his family is that they are from Hong Kong. So there is no way to find out. Thanks.

If it is in Cantonese and it means pretty then "Gum Young" might be 錦容. In Hong Kong, where Cantonese is spoken, 錦容 as a name will be romanised as Kam Yung. On Mainland China, where Mandarin is the standard, 錦容 will be romanisd as Jinrong.

PS - 錦容 is a very nice and very Chinese name.

Edited by skylee
Correct typo