Chinese-Forums

Translation of symbols on my present

ragnar86

Hi, ragnar86, I think even chinese are difficult to give u a certain answer. I'd like to show my mind.

After wracking brain and searching some information, in my opinion, the symbols on this present is " 光焉然乎 ".

From a classical chinese writing <<楓山語錄>>, u can find these original words: 死不爼豆其间,非夫也。厥后文果以精忠大节著于天下,视前人尤有光焉。非祠之感而然乎

About "光焉然乎”, 光 焉然乎 or 光焉 然乎 both can be given specific meanings, but I prefer to say the second one to fit the symbols on your present....if its really comes from the writing which I just addressed above.

"光焉" you can understand it as light, life, moral character or something else... anyway, I think it maily means life or something can be kept and it will positive influence later generation.

In fact, in modern chinese, "燃" means burn or inflame, we usually use it accompany with light or fire, however, in classical chinese, "然" had the same meaning as"燃"...

"乎" is just a kind of interjection to show the feeling of author.

I hope what I said above can give u some help. That's just my own opinion.

Im chinese, but Im not pro-linguist.

A hope that my crude remarks may draw forth by abler people.

Welcome to up this thread~~~