Chinese-Forums

Tattoo translation

Spoony

I think the third one looks decent. The last one does too. They don't really break any rules since they are calligraphy. And the one hofmann likes is a very old script. So it would be very unique but there is more room for error and in my mind an even greater chance for making it look like crap.

A bit OT but,

muyongshi, you imply that if something is calligraphy it does not break any rules. The very rules I'm talking about are 書法, i.e. writing rules. In this video is an explanation.

In the end, I recommend against getting a tattoo at all, but if you had to get one, I'd recommend one in kaishu. However, of all the examples in fengyixiao's post, I only found the seal script acceptable, and I happened to like it.

Well, having taken 书法 myself I do understand what you are saying. But then we are talking more about a 规范 way of beauty. I do hold to the belief that those types of things are "guidelines" as opposed to hard and fast rules. The old adage rules are meant to be broken I think is appropriate- if it achieves the artists goals and intentions and in the eye of the beholder looks good then I do not think you can say it is "wrong".

But we do digress- I understand what you mean and now it will be to the OP to decide.

But we do agree on one thing- no tattoo is option 1! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:Thank for the replies,

I agree with muyongshi that the third one of feng's picture looks 'better' (but what do i know!!

-How would I go about getting a Kaishu caligraphy style

-Also, jjust wondering, but how come there is like a red spray surrounding feng's pictures/

Thanks

ok cool, Yeah it may not be the most pleasing to look at etc, but it should be easy enough for the tattoo guy to do it, they cant read/write chinese etc - they just attempt to copy whatever you give them so....

Anyway just to double check, the meaning is still the same right (or can someone give me a translation) :mrgreen:

Thanks again,