Chinese-Forums

please help!

zosia

Can I ask a question, by 'everything happens for a reason' what do you mean exactly?

As I see it the phrase has two interpretations, one being 'everything is caused by something' and the other being 'everything that happens is fated to happen'. Firefly and Anonymouse's translations both point to 1, but my guess would be you mean 2. Right?

As I see it the phrase has two interpretations, one being 'everything is caused by something' and the other being 'everything that happens is fated to happen'. Firefly and Anonymouse's translations both point to 1, but my guess would be you mean 2. Right?

I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. As it stands, the OP's original sentence and my translation could be interpreted in both ways you suggested.

Let's take a closer look at 凡事皆有其理由. Translated literally, it is something like "Everything has it's reason". Now, "reason" could be interpreted as just the cause in a cause and effect sequence, as reflected in your "everything is caused by something" interpretation. However, "reason" could equally well be interpreted as, say the "devine reason", "God's will", which would then correspond with your “everything that happens is fated to happen” interpretation. So I believe 凡事皆有其理由 is an appropriate translation of the OP's original phrase.

Another possibility is 凡事皆有其道, which (to my ears, anyway) sounds better because it is composed of three pairs syllables.

Whether these are good phrases to use as a tattoo and whether there are better ways to translate the OP's phrase are different issues which I will leave to others to comment on.

how about 因果规律?

please refer to: http://baike.baidu.com/view/8748.htm

一切诸果 皆从因起 一切诸报 皆从业起 《华严经》

三世因果 循环不失 善恶之报 如影随形 《涅盘经》

因缘会遇时 果报还自受 假使百千劫 所作业不亡 《大包积经》