Chinese-Forums

Getting a Z visa in Beijing

Agrimensor

Hi there.

I´m going to work to Beijing to a Chinese company. The Chinese Embassy in my country told me that to get the Z visa I need two documents from the State Bureau of Foreign Experts of China: Permit for Foreign Experts Working and Visa Notification Form. They said that it´s usually processed by the company where one goes to work.

My questions are:

My company has to go to the State Bureau, gets these documents and send to me via post?

And, Is necessary to sign the employment contract before to get these documents?

Sorry if they are very simply questions, but I´m a little bit lost.

Thanks.

I'll answer both questions with a simple "yes".

The Chinese company is responsible to get a work permit for you as well as the visa notification form. They need to send this documents to your home country, on which you can then apply for a 30-day Z visa. They will have to present the authorities with a signed contract, before being granted the work permit/visa notification.

Upon arrival in China, you'll have to do a formal medical check and then have your Z-visa changed into a 1 year Residence Permit. Within 30 days.

I've just been through the process and I didn't need a signed contract until after I arrived in China.

The two documents required for the visa are:

1) "Alien Employment License" (外国人就业许可证书), which your employer applies for at the local labor and social security bureau. This certifies that you are employable.

2) Visa invitation letter: this is obtained at the local commerce department.

Then, once you arrive in China, you take your signed contract back to the labor bureau and obtain a "Alien Employment Permit" (外国人就业证), which certifies that you are employed.

From the instructions on the "Alien Employment License" (Beijing, but I think it's the same across the country):

Aliens seeking employment in China should follow an employment permit system. Those who have been awarded Alien Employment License of the People's Republic of China (Hereinafter referred to as "Employment License") should go through relevant formalities according to the following procedures:

1. Present the Employment License and Visa Notice to the embassy or consulate of the People's Republic of China when applying for the Employment Visa.

2. The bearer of the Employment Visa should sign a labour contract with the employer within 15 days after entering China by presenting the Employment License.

3. Present the Employment License, labour contract, valid passport and other relevant documents to the labour and social security administrative authorities of the area where the employer is located to apply for Alien Employment Permit (hereinafter referred to as "Employment Permit").

4. The aliens who have obtained the Employment Permit should present the Employment Permit to the local public security authorities to apply for Alien Residence Permit within 30 days after entering China.

Aliens who hold the Employment Permit and the Alien Residence Permit can be legally employed in China under the Protection of Chinese laws.

5. The Employment License will come into effect on the date of issuance and remain effective for a period of six months.

• 1 month later...

Thank both,

Finally, I came to Beijing just with the tourist Visa. And now my company is arranging all the procedures to obtain the work permit.

By the way, it's like difficult to a chinese company to hire a foreign worker, the local bureau only gives you the work permit if you go out of the country and come back, or well the company pays ones not little money for it.