Chinese-Forums

Dictionaries in CD-ROM/electronic format

Diogenes in Tokyo

First off, I should thank Roddy, since he's been kind enough to let me in.

And for my first post....

Basically, I'm looking for information on Chinese/Chinese and Chinese/English dictionaries in CD-ROM/electronic format. I'm in China with a Chinese OS, so I've already got all of the 词霸/Kingsoft stuff, Oxford Advanced CE, Wenlin, Clavis Sinica, and a few other assorted ones. I would like to find a C-C dictionary, though, like 現代 (Modern Chinese).

One caveat

Most of the stuff I'm working with is in simplified characters, so dictionaries with traditional characters alone - i.e., no simplified character lookup/index - are useless to me (besides, I have loads of Japanese dictionaries, but that's another thread).

The reason is that I work with documents mostly in the sciences, so I need decent dictionaries with technical terms - in context; although I've said 'dictionary,' parallel texts/parallel translations (like Microsoft and Apple glossaries I've got :wink: ) are welcome. And last but certainly not least, I'm also desperate for a decent electronic copy of Stedman's or Dorland's in Chinese, but I think I'll have to keep looking into that.

At any rate, thank you for your time.

• 8 months later...

I tried out a Chinese-Chinese dictionary program a few weeks ago. It had a large zidian, cidian, and chengyu cidian, all in simplified characters. I didn't keep it because I couldn't get it to display right and it required payment in RMB. It looked like it was worth the low price. But I can't remember the name!

If you're looking for a Chinese-English database and want something extensible, why not consider working with the Adso http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~david/chinese/adso.html database?

Just a note that the URL has changed to http://www.adsotrans.com . Quality can be rusty field by field, although we have a good number of entries in telecom and international business. If you start adding content in the fields you translate, you should see the quality of annotation improve fairly quickly.