Chinese-Forums

toilet

Guest Yau

when most french words migrates into english, the meaning often become noble, except toilette.

I asked 'where's the toilet?' in San Francisco. The staff said "Toilet?" I noticed his face muscle prepared to make a laugh. It's so strange.

What'd you say if you look for a toilet?

Restroom, bathroom or W.C. ..?

Eh, Gerald? Asking for the restroom in the UK? I don't know why, but that particular Americanism grates a little. When I worked in the tourist centre on Lower Regent St, I was always tempted to say, "The restroom? Why, do you feel tired, you great lummox?". Good job I left that job!

When in Britain, "the toilet" will do just fine.

The logical answer would be that "toilet" refers to the actual ceramic (or steel, if you're in jail) receptacle used to receive a variety of bodily by-products. "Bathroom/restroom/washroom" refers to the place you'll find the toilet...unless your in jail again, in which case the place would be "the corner." Thus, in asking "Where's the toilet?" you leave yourself open for a smartass reply of "In the bathroom."

The more complicated answer would probably include much about shame and America's Puritan heritage...but yes, in general, "toilet" is a rather blunt term.

• 4 months later...

WC in America is guaranteed to get the following reaction

:shock: ??????

The average American would be completely clueless as to what you're referring to.

But that's nothing compared to the reaction I get from my friends from the UK when I tell them about my Great Aunt Fanny. :mrgreen:

Thank God for chengdude otherwise we would have never known what the toilet is called in a jail. Is it chnegdude or jaildude?

Chappie WC is just an acronym for Water Closet. Don't ask me how that name came about. I got to go pee.

I thought so it was an bloody english word. Ill stick it with the true... english instead of french words(toilet). Restroom :S let me think of bedroom. bathroom... a room with a bathtub, wheere you brush your teeth and such.

We should use sanitary room! (talking crap now)

While I was in Vancouver, I did volunteer work for a youth hostel, taking groups of backpackers out to pubs. Explaining to fellow Aussies how to ask where the toilet is, whilst in Canada, never failed to amuse me.

Me: Say 'bathroom' or 'washroom'. Asking about the 'toilet' is considered crass here.

Aussie: <snort and look of disbelief> But I don't want to take a bath. I want to go to the toilet. If the toilet was in the f*@#ing kitchen, that's where I'd want to go!

But the best sign for the toilet I saw in a Vancouver club was 'facilities'!?! I'd assumed it was for cleaning equipment or something, until I went and looked, after failing to find the toilet anywhere else.

• 1 month later...

WC tends to be a written sign. I have never actually heard anyone say it other then tongue in cheek. I was very surprised when I came to China and heard people say it.

That said, when I was first learning Chinese and have trouble getting my mouth round that 'c' sound in pinyin, it was a great relief (sometimes literally) to find that WC was generally understood, especially when mime written on your hand (with legs crossed.)