Chinese-Forums

Bookstore organization?

mrjackalope

This may come off as a rather elementary/obvious question to most, but bear with me. I just came into China to take classes for a few semesters, and decided that one way to supplement studies on my own would be to begin re-reading some stuff I'd read in translation in the original Chinese (I was thinking Qian Zhongshu and Yu Hua, specifically). I went into a bookstore in Beijing and started looking through the fiction section and had a rather difficult time figuring out what was going on. The various genres and sections were clearly marked, but after that I couldn't find much of a logical system of organization. There seemed to be no surname grouping by either pinyin or stroke/radical, so I couldn't find them like that. Are books generally organized on some other principle, or could this just be a fluke of that particular bookstore?

I went into a bookstore in Beijing and started looking through the fiction section and had a rather difficult time figuring out what was going on. The various genres and sections were clearly marked, but after that I couldn't find much of a logical system of organization. There seemed to be no surname grouping by either pinyin or stroke/radical, so I couldn't find them like that. Are books generally organized on some other principle, or could this just be a fluke of that particular bookstore?

You are very perceptive. Within each genre, most bookstores here organize their books fairly arbitrarily. In a large bookstore, you'd probably have to ask a clerk for help unless you are willing to browse through the entire section.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never visited a bookshop in Beijing, but those I have been to elsewhere in China tend to arrange books within each section on the basis of the publisher. It's a very bizarre way of doing it, perhaps convenient for stock taking, but generally pretty hopeless for the customer. If you are looking for an older novel, you may find there a various editions scattered around the shelves each from a different publishing house.

I've never visited a bookshop in Beijing, but those I have been to elsewhere in China tend to arrange books within each section on the basis of the publisher. It's a very bizarre way of doing it, perhaps convenient for stock taking, but generally pretty hopeless for the customer. If you are looking for an older novel, you may find there a various editions scattered around the shelves each from a different publishing house.

Depends on the bookstore. I've only been to 三联 and 新华, and I don't notice such practice.