Chinese-Forums

New film directed by Fruit Chan (陳果)-Dumplings (餃子)

skylee

2.jpg

IMHO this new film has many favourable factors - directed by Fruit Chan, based on a story written by Lilian Lee (one of my favourite writers), being a sequal of the highly-acclaimed and award-winning "Three", and featuring the very cute (just my opinion) Miriam Yeung.

Synopsis -

English

Chinese

為了留住青春,回復艷麗,女人不惜代價,吃盡苦頭。過氣女星艾菁菁,千辛萬苦找到了老妖一般的媚姨,呑下她神秘的嬰胎餃子,為的不止是自己的容顔,而是要挽回一生最大事業──留住富豪丈夫的愛。歷練世情的媚姨親手炮製粉紅餃子,有口皆碑:了解妳的需要,滿足妳的慾望,快看看艾菁菁的「成功例子」,妳要嚐一口嗎?

• 2 weeks later...

千嬅躍身三級女星 《餃子》題材大膽被列III級

問題出於題材意識大膽,與鏡頭無關。
《餃子》早前打算參加威尼斯影展,卻因題材敏感,遭當地評委否決,大會主席原本改邀作影展閉幕電影,但最後亦受宗教壓力而取消。

Now I really want to see this film to see how sensitive it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the film criticique from Taipei Times:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2004/08/27/2003200496

Dumpling by Fruit Chan (陳果) continues Chan's sarcasm about the poverty gap in Hong Kong society. In the sequence it is darker than his previous films.

Mrs. Lee (Miriam Yeung, 楊千嬅) is a bored housewife of a rich businessman. She finds in the back alleys of Kowloon the most expensive dumpling in Hong Kong.

This segment features the excellent acting of Bai Ling (白靈), the dumpling seller from Shenzhen, China, and the sophisticated cinematography illustrates the delicacy and the interesting process of making the dumplings. But the story behind rejuvenation is too scary and a bit far-fetched.

I've just seen the film, and thought it was very good. The acting was excellent, and the crunching noises as Yeung eats the dumplings are stomach-churning. But seeing as Chen Guo is so good at creating this kind of nauseating atmosphere in a subtle way, i don't really see why it was necessary to include the scene when the young girl goes to the flat (i'll try not to ruin it for people who haven't seen the film) in all its detail.

It was kind of obvious what was going on anyway, and i think the scene is over the top and gratuitous.

I'd be interested to know what other people think, because i'm sure Chen Guo had his (or her?) reasons for including it, but it seemed like a cheap, easy way to get a reaction.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...