Chinese-Forums

Tui - Push (推)

shida

扌 is for the meaning, 隹 (pronounced zhuī) is the phonetic component. The etymologies of many Chinese characters are like this. They are called phono-semantic compounds and comprise maybe 80% of all Chinese characters. They have a component that indicates meaning and a component that indicates pronunciation. While technically the character is broken down by hand + bird, it's not hand + bird = push, it's push = the word that has something to do with a hand and sounds a little bit like zhuī.

Edited by imron
spelling

Correct. 隹 is the phonetic component and is not related to the act of pushing. There are some people however who find it useful to create mnemonics and stories tying each of the separate components of a character together, in order to help remember how a character is drawn. Such stories however are often not related to the actual etymology of the character.

Thank you for your exact knowledge in this matter. Usually, I have been involved in Chinese philosophical ideograms, such as 'Dao', 'Ch'an', 'qi', or 'shen', etc. And yes, when I have been taught the structure of these kind of ideograms, a story has been told to me about the 'inner' meaning of the particles.

I see the constructive scheme that you have presented, and understand the underlying logic of the ideogram.

On a slightly different, but related note, are you aware of any stories relating to this ideogram?

Thank you

On a slightly different, but related note, are you aware of any stories relating to this ideogram?

I always found this one easy to remember. A bird is sleeping on the branch, and you sneak up to it and push it off.

Thank you for your reply. To clarify; the ideogram refers to 'push', but 'zhui' (usually translated as 'short-tailed bird') has nothing practical to add to the practice or act of 'pushing', other than a similar sounding particle to 'zhui'?

In this case, no.

In some cases, a phonetic component was chosen which also fits in in terms of meaning. It's still a phonetic-semantic compound in that case, but the lines are a bit blurry, leading some people to think that every characted has an "encoded" meaning.

Thank you both for your comments, insight and humour!

The sleeping bird being dislodged from a tree is interesting, when one considers the 'tui shou' or 'push hands' concept, found in the martial art of taijiquan;

推手

Thank you

Edited by shida

Maybe it's a penguin:mrgreen:

There is a story for one idiom "网开一面"。

If you can read chinese,see this link:http://baike.baidu.com/view/237555.htm

If you can't read chinese(my english is not good)please Renzhe translate this story.

From this story,I think,推 maybe mean pushing a net to save the bird.

As the real story why 推 is a hand+bird,it's too long(more than 3000 years),no one knows.:conf

I think, the define of 推 as "expel" maybe the basic and original meaning by the WordCreator.

It is quite easy to understand:推-Waving your hand to “expel” or drive the birds(Maybe the birds are eating his corn!)

Even nowadays,we chinese expel or drive birds which are eating our corn,we will wave a hand,and say aloud "去qu4".

去's pronouncation,is similar to 雀,and is close to 隹.

So,maybe our ancestors create the word 推 for this reason.

Of course,just my guess. It's too far to this day.

So,acoording the original/basic meaning of "推","Tui - expel(驱赶)" is easy to understand.

Original and basically,"推" is "expel",it's an action to wave one's hand to expel or drive birds which are eating a farmer's corn.

Edited by imron
merged consecutive posts

If you want understand a 汉字,you should find out its original and basic shape and meaning.

There is a good story for the word "而".

Think such words "而且",“一而十,十而百,百而千”,here the word "而" has a meaning "to go forward one by one".

Why the word "而" has this meaning?

There are two descripitons for the word "而",

The 1st meaning of 而 is "a bread" at the bottom of one's face. See this link:http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE8Zdic80Zdic8C.htm

The second meaning of "而" is “tail of a fish”. Also see the above link,inside there is a desription "《周禮》曰:“作其鱗之而。”". So,the second descripion is the original and basic description for the word "而".

You can image: A fish swing its tail and "to go forward one by one".

Indeed,usually,there is a story for a chinese word.

But the year when the word is created is too far away to today,many stories how the word is created has been lost.