Chinese-Forums

Forgetting chinese after studying?

Maqqie

Hey Guys,

My apologies for not contributing too much to these forums in terms of advice as I am fairly new to the realms of studying Chinese independently. I do hope however my own threads and questions will help others in the future.

I have been studying Chinese for about a year now at university along side my accounting degree. For a while now I have been thinking about studying in China for a year and I was planning on doing this at the end of next year once I finish off my accounting degree. I have been looking forward to this, particularly because I am hoping that through the one year of study in China (purely just Chinese language study), I will come back with a fluent intermediary level of the Chinese language.

However for the past few days I have been thinking again. How many of you have gone to China for a year or more, come back and completely forgotten the language (after say 2 – 3 years of not practicing anymore)? This is my concern. I don’t want to spend a year of my life, learning a language that I will inevitably forget when I come back.

I have talked to a few people (mainly my parents) about my concerns and they said that if I want to remain fluent in my proficiency upon coming back to Australia I will need to make an effort individually to read chinese newspapers, watch Chinese movies and make chinese friends to converse with, otherwise my knowledge will fade. I honestly do not see myself doing these after my year of study in china because I will be starting work full time and won’t have the availability to consistently practice on my own or with others. I can see myself practicing Chinese with Chinese friends if I so happen to make some in Australia when I come back (say at church or something) but I won’t actively seek them out myself. Basically what I am saying is that I can only see myself practicing Chinese when I come back if the opportunity arises but I won’t actively seek those opportunities.

What are others experiences with fluency of a language after studying it intensely for a while without consistent maintenance? Are my fears correct? Will I forget my Chinese when I come back?

All input is most appreciated. If I am serious about going I will need to start making plans soon.

Warmest regards,

Maqqie

Since you're already having doubts about your motivation to continue studying after you go back, it seems pretty clear that, unless something changes, you will end up losing your chinese.

I wouldn't bank on being able to practice with Chinese people in Australia. After only one year in China, you will at best have an intermediate level (not fluent) and whilst some Chinese people may be curious enough to chat with you in Chinese for a while, they will probably quickly find it tiring and switch back to English.

So, from the point of view of language learning, unless you have a determination to continue with it, I think going to China to study for one year will be pretty pointless.

On the other hand, living in China is an experience in itself, and it may be worth coming to China just for that, if not the language.

I think you're worrying and speculating too much about the future.

At this point in your life, if the thing that most interests and excites you is spending a year in China you should just do it and see where it leads. One thing is for sure, the world will look completely different after a year in another country. Speculating how your life will flow from that point is impossible.

Right now, it's way more important to figure out what's driving YOUR life, not trying to adjust the path of your life based on some sort of theoretical "average" person or on the story arc that your parents envision.

I will come back with a fluent intermediary level

Wow now there are actual fluency levels within levels. I always thought there was nothing, crappy, beginner, intermediate, advanced, know-it-all, and finally fluent. ;)

Honestly- don't think that much about it. Just go- learn, have a GREAT time. Enjoy life and I promise that if for some reason you do lose some of it- you will not regret having done it. That I am sure. And who knows- after that year you may find the motivation for when you get back home.

Like any language, you either use it or you lose it. If you are in a language environment for *many* years (+5 or +10 years), of course, the language will probably stick with you.

Learn a language and learn to maintain it, or at least push it forward slowly. It does not take much daily study to do this. I was telling Renzhe that studying 3 new words per day amounts to over 1000 words per year. It takes very little effort to learn 3 words each day.

Also, buy a textbook and for 15 minutes everyday, read loudly and carefully. You will maintain some fluency, at the very least.

I was in China from 2005-2007, except for the summers, and ever since I've been back, my studying has been fairly casual. I still speak quite well and receive compliments on my tones even though they aren't what they used to be. There is hope as long as one isn't too, too lazy. :mrgreen:

Goodluck,

dt

• 2 weeks later...

It is not like riding a bike, but memories are still there somewhere.

I have had period of non study. (A year back to do a masters and other periods)

I can also compare it with French as well since I learned that to a high level before coming to China and hardly touching it.

If you get to a high enough level (I am thinking 3-four years in an Australian University and 1 year in China) That you can carry on decent conversations about various topics and not just if the Kungpao chicken is Spicy or not.

(Again this an approximation)

Then I think you will always have solid level of Chinese. (that doesn't mean that you won't forget to write many characters) It means that when you watch a mandarin Chinese movie with or without english subtitles your language should come back and you should be able to catch 70-90% of what is being said after watching for a little while.

You might lose some of your tones as English doesn't stress these much but you will remember most expressions and verbs.

You will still likely be able to recognize most characters you have learned and thus type in Chinese even if you can't write every character..

If you decide to study it again you will have lost about a semester's worth of studies.

This is all dependent on reaching a fairly decent level Chinese before your hiatus from interacting with Chinese. (Many students come for a semester abroad, and realize they will be given a B passing grade no matter what they do and then spend the rest of the time at the bar or hung-over)

Plus the other thing is that you meet chinese people all over the place. Even traveling around Europe in dinky German, British and French villages I have come across Chinese people and converse in very standard Mandarin with them. Vancouver, canada is more that 60% Ethnic chinese. Some say cities in Australia are getting that way as well. So you never know when you'll use it.

I hope this helps you decide.

Good luck,

Simon:)

• 1 month later...

I was in non Chinese speaking countries (I dont count Singapore as Chinese speaking :wink: ) for 4 years after having finished my studies and I have to say, I did feel the danger of forgetting. But if you put some effort into it, its not too bad. I guess what saved me was chatting in Chinese on MSN. I also took some classes, which helped, but MSN was probably the most important part. And manage to find some Chinese friends, with so many Chinese students everywhere, thats not too much of a problem. And they tend to cook a lot, so you are in for some excellent food if you get the right connections ;)