Chinese-Forums

Private English Lessons One-on-One

HangingClowns

I was in class, today, and a Chinese professor who teaches Chinese to foreign students asked me if I was interested in tutoring students in English, since I'm an American, therefore a native speaker.

I'm currently working as a part-time English teacher for Kid Castle and Beijing something (I can't remember the name), but because of the Swine Flu, I am unable to work due to the government trying to stop the spread of the sickness, therefore I'm running a bit low on money.

I was curious if anyone has an idea of what is a good price per hour to ask for.

At 新东方 here in Wuhan they give 100 RMB per period (usually 50 minutes each, sometimes less) and and usually classes consist of two such periods with a short break in between. But this is a private school with classroom sizes of 25 brats and over, so for private tutoring something along the lines of 200 sounds reasonable.

Alright, just got a phone call from one of the students. I told him I wasn't sure how much I wanted and he said they think that $100 is good, and I said I'd think about it. It seems a little low to me, too, but I could be wrong. I get $100RMB/hour for working part-time at Kid Kastle and they give me material to teach. Here are the details of this job:

2-4 students at one time. I have to make up my own lessons. 4x per week with approximately 1 hour each time I meet with them. I also get to make up my own schedule for work.

What do you guys think, now? I think maybe $150 for a somewhat newer teacher is a good idea to ask for.

By the way, thanks so much for helping me with this. Your input has been great with making me think.

At 新东方 here in Wuhan they give 100 RMB per period (usually 50 minutes each, sometimes less) and and usually classes consist of two such periods with a short break in between. But this is a private school with classroom sizes of 25 brats and over, so for private tutoring something along the lines of 200 sounds reasonable.

I heard 新东方 in Shanghai charges up to RMB 1000 per hour for one-on-one English lessons (that's right, one thousand). Considering that they are charging each student 100/hour for a class of 25 or more, 1000 isn't too out of bound, I suppose.