Chinese-Forums

A tattoo for health and prosperity

heifeng

Ok, so I need tattoo assistance! NOT for me, but for a friend of a friend of a friend. You know how these things go. Anyway, I usually say get a dragon or a fish tattooed on instead of Chinese characters, but since this person is trying to convey a certain amount of meaning, I thought I'd consult with our forum experts:clap

Basically the meaning of the tattoo should revolve around health and prosperity~but emphasing health and prosperity for women!

Ideally around 4 characters or so (but this is not a firm requirement), written vertically. Preferred scripts samples can also be included.

My friend and I were brainstorming and came up with 女人万岁 in some cool seal script, but that was just our first round of hey, what would be a meaningful and concise way to express something close to that. Anyway, I'd like to give this person some options and let them decide which one they like. In the very least she can be a bit educated on Chinese characters, be introduced to some nice script, and different possible translations that represent what she is trying to say.

Help is appreciated 8) Other comments can take a hike, since the get a dragon or fish tattoo instead argument isn't gonna work here....:wink:

I realise 万岁 often gets translated as 'forever' or 'long live' but in this case, 10 000 years really doesn't seem hugely optimistic for the continuing existence of woman. Also, you might as well say 人类万岁 as men aren't going to be sticking around long if women die out.

Personally speaking, I quite like the political and historical connotations of 铁女, but not sure about using it for a tattoo as its literal translation into English would make it seem like a tribute to Margaret Thatcher.

I don't know what to recommend in its place but you should definitely drop the idea of using 女人万岁. It sounds like a slogan of some kind

Reminds me of that one milk/yogurt commercial where it's about the woman being "first" 我优先 so you could do 女人优先. :mrgreen:

yeah, these are fun suggestions.....so many possibilities..anyway, let's keep it going :clap

You can see how a 5 minute conversation I had with someone may end up getting tattoed on 'em so I'm really trying to fix the damage i've done...yet I like to think I've undone even greater potential damage by talking 'em out of a very literal translation (i think...)

What do you mean 龍 is 阳? Haven't you guys heard of 龍女? She was there long before Kongzi set new rules for females. :wink:

Seriously, in 中医 it's all about the balance of 阴阳. I don't think it needs too much explanation, we all know it: 阳 gives power to 阴 and vice verso. And 龍 just happens to be the most powerful of the 阳 and is the totem of the whole nation, male & female. That's why I couldn't resist suggesting it. We don't want her to be too Yin, do we?

But I'm going to look at chengyu with 凤 in it now too...hmm

Read this thread first, posts #14 , #15 & #19.

So, how about 龍女? or even 女龍 , but only if she happens to be one in Chinese Zodiac, then she should really wear a 龍 tattoo. Same goes for any of the signs which need protection from the Dragon.

EDIT: for illustration: 凤骨龙姿 >>形容超凡的体格和仪态. This looks close to what OP needs, but apparently it's for guys only. :mrgreen:

Edited by leeyah

I agree, 女中豪杰 sounds good. Some interesting reading >>"做女中豪杰 还是贤妻良母? 看女校如何培养新时代女性"

"小龙女" is commonly used in Malaysia and Singapore as a substitute word for a cheap prostitute from China.

Hey, that's Chinatown slang! But it's a nice example of Chinese misogyny, so perhaps she should give up the idea of a Chinese tattoo after all & you'd better tell her that in China, good girls don't smoke, don't drink, and they don't wear tattoos. :mrgreen: Seriously, a friend of mine (Asian, but not Chinese) dares not expose her arms and wears long sleeves even in hot weather when she goes out in China. She says she had trouble with how locals treat her when they see the (quite innocent-looking) tattoo on her arm. That she smokes in public is bad enough as it is. Call it a culture shock if you like, but that's how it (still) is.

Anyway, I was really intrigued by the broader connotation of 小龙女 in Guoke's post (vs this), so I looked for more info. The search turned up an interesting question at Baidu, which linked to a list of traditionally most desirable traits in a perfect female. Judging by some of these, a woman is not supposed to be too robust 柔纤脆弱 >>fragility is the ideal. :conf So, perhaps your friend's friend might consider wearing an amulet instead. Everybody seems to wear them in mainland China these days, red string included. But it's the balance thing again: Kuanyin is recommended for men, Fo for women ...

2729_thumb.attach

2730_thumb.attach