Chinese-Forums

Pleco iPhone Beta - released soon

imron

My Treo died about two months ago,

It's probably just the battery that's dead. You should be able to get a replacement at a PDA shop near the pier to tide you over. How's the 3G quality in HK? I heard a bad review from another guy who's using iPhone in HK. Lots of dropped calls, he said.

Some people actually like Apple products not because they match their skivvies, but because they're good, and Pleco on iPhone means one less piece of electronics to carry around.

That's kind of the point for me. Now that Pleco will be available I am going to switch so that I don't have to carry around another MP3 player. Phone, MP3, dictionary as well as a few other apps that I'm looking and an amazing screen for photo display.

Ok... sorry slightly off topic.

Thanks for the videos Mike! It's kind of unfortunate though that you posted them in YouTube considering lots of people that want to see them are in China. And it seems that even with VPN things are slow and hard to load.

That being said- I am excited for this. It doesn't really seem to have the traditional pleco look which I did like, but it really looks like an iPhone app. I love how as you write it starts to bring up options. The character info screen looks very interesting- good for cross referencing.

While the look is very different I love the system. It looks amazing, easy to use, lots of great features. I'm now sold on an iphone just because of the dictionary.

I guess one question I do have is how the dictionary packages are going to be sold. Are they same options/combinations of dictionaries?

Sorry, completely escaped my mind to offer an alternate link but will do so as soon as I can get the files converted and uploaded. (on one of our own mirror servers - benefit of YouTube is that it's actually playable on an iPhone unlike most other embedded video formats)

And thanks! We're trying to update the look-and-feel a bit in general; we're likely going to be moving in this direction on Windows Mobile as well now that they seem to have gotten on board the finger-driven interface bandwagon.

We don't want to say anything about packages or pricing until the software is actually approved by Apple - they're not likely to give us any grief over the pricing itself, but it's possible they might force us to alter our planned distribution methods in a way that would mean we'd have to raise / lower our prices. In general, though, we're aiming for more flexibility and the possibility of getting fewer features at a lower price point.

Yeah I remember hearing about the possibility of grief from apple about pricing on the forums.

Sounds nice about the "more" pricing options, fewer features etc. Too bad though that I am wanting to upgrade to the linguistic version. Too bad. Actually I am curious as to how that would work because I have my old dicts {like Oxford} for palm and if I upgrade a package and switch to the iPhone what are the chances of those being able to be carried over? My guess is that repurchase would have to be done... But you did just say you can't comment to much. So, I understand if you can't answer. Those are the types of questions I know I have, but I'm sure once everything gets approved you will have clear answers on how Pleco decides to do it.

Other links:

Vimeo:

Part 1 - http://vimeo.com/6861191

Part 2 - http://vimeo.com/6861228

Pleco Mirror:

Both on one page - http://www.plecomirror.com/ipdemovid.html

And the Linguist bundle should still be an option too, don't worry. As far as license transfers, that again depends on Apple - we'd like to offer them but don't know if we'll be able to (or if the distribution system might work out so that we'd have to charge for them).

Excellent. Pleco iPhone now has component search.

I hope they aren't branching it off and adding features that aren't in the Windows version. There is some talk along these lines in the 2.1 thread so I'm guessing it's coming for everyone.

No, no plans to start rolling out lots of iPhone-exclusive features. Aside from things that are only necessary on iPhone, like a built-in file manager / upload capability for the document reader; on less inflexible systems like Windows Mobile you can simply move around and copy files like on a regular PC and transfer them to your handheld over a sync cable or from an SD card.

The reason component search is coming sooner on iPhone is that the data set we licensed for stroke order on iPhone also happens to include component data - at that point it took literally about an hour of work to get component search implemented. But it'll definitely be showing up on Windows Mobile as well very soon (and likely also Palm OS, since it's not a particular UI- or performance-intensive feature).

• 3 weeks later...

I sent Mike a message too...not sure if he'll get it though. Actually, I really like the ECTACO EC900 Deluxe but it doesn't have Traditional characters which is a dealbreaker for me here in Taiwan. So when it comes to 1) English menus, 2) Traditional and Simplified characters, 3) handwriting recognition, 4) pinyin (versus BoPoMoFo), and 5) portability. Pleco and iTouch appear to come out on top.

So Mike responded (several times). First of all, I want to publicly thank him for personally and promptly responding to my questions. He tells me that things appear to be on track but 1) all the beta slots are gone (per Apple) and 2) the actual launch date is fully dependent on Apple's opaque approval process.

I'm pretty set on getting an iTouch solely to use Pleco (though I'm sure I'll find other uses along the way...). So I'm really jealous of you guys on the Beta and hope it will release ASAP!